$ Value of Glasgow Fusee Wall Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by The Editor, Mar 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    For estate reasons, I’m trying to determine the value of a few of my late father’s clocks. He was a long-time NAWCC member and Fellow of the British Horological Institute.

This wall clock is marked “Wood Glasgow” on the dial. My father described it as follows: “8-day English Dial – 12” Roman dial – fusee with gut chord – cast-brass bezel – mahogany case with mahogany veneer dial – 15” O. D. – circa 1850-1875.” I can add that the case has two doors and is held in place with four wooden pegs. I have the pendulum and it runs for a few minutes when wound. It also runs for hours if the pendulum is removed and the clock is laid on a flat surface. Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Wood Glasgow NWACC (1).JPG Wood Glasgow NWACC (2).JPG Wood Glasgow NWACC (3).JPG Wood Glasgow NWACC (4).JPG Wood Glasgow NWACC (5).JPG Wood Glasgow NWACC (6).JPG Wood Glasgow NWACC (7).JPG

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I rather like the simplicity of the design. A couple of things detract from potential value: The blotch on the dial, and the fact that the clock doesn't run. On the plus side, it's a fusee movement, and the design is simple, like the case. It appears to have only three wheels. If I were a potential buyer, the case condition would attract me, but I would have to consider the cost of having the movement serviced. I think I might consider $100 a fairly reasonable offer. However, I'm not a fusee expert, and others might have other opinions.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It doesn't sound to me as if anything major is wrong with this clock, except it is likely out of beat. I am not expert in prices in Canada or US, but in Europe I think it would fetch at least $200 - 250.

As for the blotch on the dial, I am wonder if it is a shadow, because it seems to be roughly arch-shaped, and the two ends of the arch seem to merge into the darker parts of the wood - if it were a blotch on the dial only, it wouldn't seem to be continuing into the grain of the wood. I haven't explained it very well, I hope you can understand me.

JTD

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Nor on the bezel for that matter. It somewhat suggests a reflection of the hands, camera, etc. of the person taking the picture, holding the camera up to take a better shot.

5. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Editor. This clock is probably worth closer to $200 in Canada. Whereabouts in Ontario are you located, I may be interested?
    Don

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought a similar clock, i paid between 250 and 300 for it. I would say these clocks hold their value.

7. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's interesting to see what these might be worth over the Atlantic. Here the mid 19th century ones still hold up retail, bigger ones are less easy to live with so that marks it down but it has attractive hands and is in clean and tidy condition. It may need a service or it may have not been in beat.

At auction here it would go for perhaps £200-£300 and retail for around £1000 though some place far more.

8. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, the blotch is a reflection in the glass of my hands holding the camera.

9. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    I'm near Ottawa. I'll give that some thought.

10. The Editor

The Editor Newbie

Sep 13, 2016
    Female
    Ontario Canada
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to everyone for your help; it's much appreciated.

11. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Editor, if you wish, i could put you in touch with the Ottawa Chapter of the nawcc, ch 111. If you wish to advertise it for sale. I am Vice President of the Chapter.

12. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    This discussion might be better conducted outside the forum, through e-mail or PM/Con versation.

13. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks was not sure if okay, as it was asked about earlier.