French Value of a French “married” clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Lockland, Nov 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lockland

Lockland Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I’m a newcomer for antique clock collection and it would be great if you guys can advise me on how much is the value of a “married” clock in comparison to its original state, if let’s say the married clock had its movement replaced while retaining all other original parts. Thank you!

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    lockland - welcome! specific discussions of value are constrained to the 'what's this clock worth?' forum.

that said, your question is kind of general... and i'm not sure there's any other answer than 'less'. :cool:

for example... would you rather have a 1929 rolls royce phantom, or a 1929 rolls royce phantom engine in a 1964 vw van body? or, to make it more specific to your question, a volkswagen engine in an otherwise mint condition 1929 rolls royce phantom?

the answer is: the marriage parts would all have to be something special and even then they would probably not be anywhere as valuable to collectors.

that said, it's possible that you could come across a marriage clock where each of the parts was exceptional... but that would be highly unlikely as some greedy eBay vulture (and i mean that in the nicest possible way!) would have already sold off the valuable parts, eeking out as much return on their investment as possible.

i have a number of marriage clocks in my clock collection and have left detailed notes for my heirs as to what components are special and what they might be worth... and which are not.

if you have a specific clock in mind, click on over to the what's it worth? forum and post photos and ask your question there.

3. Lockland

Lockland Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for your reply. I will post my question in the forum that you suggested :)

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    photos, photos, photos.... good luck! :cool:

5. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Depends, a marriage can be made in heaven or hell and points between.

bruce linde likes this.
  6. Lockland

Lockland Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    T
    Thanks. The clock that I’m mentioning is the Louis XVI mantel clock circa 1780 made by Edmond Jean Causard. The case and dial are original, but the movement seems to have replaced by a later one. I also don’t know this marriage is in heaven or hell :)

7. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pics would, as ever, be helpful.

8. Lockland

Lockland Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have created a new thread under what’s it worth?forum as it is a more appropriate platform. Please help share your view there. Thank you.

9. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm told I don't have the privileges to post in that forum. Anyway the movement in this clock is mid 19th C at the earliest. However there another Causard listed in Pairs circa 1890-1910.

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    That would be a much more likely situation - and also answer the question of the signature not being the usual one for the earlier Causard.

And I agree with your dating, but wasn't sure enough about French clocks to hazard a thought. And if that date is right, the movement may well be original to the clock.

JTD

11. Lockland

Lockland Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Oh...you've brightened me up, so it could be that the clock is not circa 1780 but somewhere between 1850 - 1900. I took the first guess because after seeing a similar clock listed on Christies that dated around 1755.

Thank you very much. So if that's the situation (the movement is original to the clock), can I understand that this clock's value will be much higher despite it was manufactured at a much later date?

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can post in that forum, but must first agree to the rules. They should pop up when you first try to start a thread.

13. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Thank you very much. So if that's the situation (the movement is original to the clock), can I understand that this clock's value will be much higher despite it was manufactured at a much later date?[/QUOTE]

Higher than what?

JTD

14. Lockland

Lockland Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Higher than what?

JTD[/QUOTE]

Sorry for not making it clear. I mean a clock which retained all its original parts and manufactured in 1850 will be more valuable than a similar clock but manufactured in1780 and had its movement replaced. Is that right? Thanks

15. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Sorry for not making it clear. I mean a clock which retained all its original parts and manufactured in 1850 will be more valuable than a similar clock but manufactured in1780 and had its movement replaced. Is that right? Thanks[/QUOTE]

I don’t buy this sort of clock, so can’t give you advice on exact prices. But people buying these types of clocks are looking for a historical and decorative object first, a functional one second, and a marriage of case and movement does not come into the equation until much later.

So a great case from the 1700s with a later movement seems to sell for a higher price than a good case and movement from the 1800s. Yours will be judged more on the quality of the case - and if the case or sculptures are by a famous maker, than if the dial and movement are the ones that came with the clock.

Certainly if the dial and movement are wrong it will affect the price, but not as much as if the quality of the casting is poor. You case looks to be in great condition, and these clocks with bronze animals and ormolu decoration are popular so I think it will be an expensive clock. But it is difficult, for me at least, to tell from pictures if the case is older or newer. Others will no doubt know more.

16. Lockland

Lockland Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I don’t buy this sort of clock, so can’t give you advice on exact prices. But people buying these types of clocks are looking for a historical and decorative object first, a functional one second, and a marriage of case and movement does not come into the equation until much later.

So a great case from the 1700s with a later movement seems to sell for a higher price than a good case and movement from the 1800s. Yours will be judged more on the quality of the case - and if the case or sculptures are by a famous maker, than if the dial and movement are the ones that came with the clock.

Certainly if the dial and movement are wrong it will affect the price, but not as much as if the quality of the casting is poor. You case looks to be in great condition, and these clocks with bronze animals and ormolu decoration are popular so I think it will be an expensive clock. But it is difficult, for me at least, to tell from pictures if the case is older or newer. Others will no doubt know more.[/QUOTE]

Your answer is very well-explained and exactly what I’m looking for. I bought this clock because it impressed me by its appearance the moment I saw it. I don’t plan to sell it anytime in the near future, but it is great for me to learn about its true value. Many thanks for taking your time answering my question.

17. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. What if I don't want to start a thread but just reply to one?

18. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe that requirement relates to both posting and starting threads. Just a verification that you know the rules for that forum ;)

Kevin W. likes this.
  19. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, I found the setting, it is in your user profile where there is a box you have to tick to say yes to Discussing Values.

20. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Johathan. I couldn't recall where it was :)