• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

value and history

AdrianBusuttil

Dec 2, 2022
Country
IMG_20221202_220905.jpg
IMG_20221202_220922.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20221202_224028.jpg
IMG_20221202_220948.jpg
IMG_20221202_220922.jpg

Can someone give me a value and history of this pocket watch?

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
You have a full plate verge fusee driven movement made and cased in Coventry. The cases were assayed in Birmingham and I think I can discern the date letter Gothic R for assay year 1840/41, which corresponds to the inscription - likely to be the name of the first owner. If I am correctly identifying the case maker mark - it appears to me to be most likely JH in an oval cartouche (inverted with respect to the assay marks) - James Heales, a mark registered in April 1834.

The finished watch will have delivered to the retailer, R Thwaites in Barnard Castle, County Durham, already with his signature. Given the watch paper carries the same name, this may be an original watch paper, but some collectors seek out papers to match the signature on the movement, so it is wise to be cautious in making a claim of originality.

The 'maker' of the movement is unknown but the frame was probably made in Lancashire, possibly locally in Coventry. A number of Coventry workers will have contributed to the finishing of the watch. This work may have been organised by a Coventry or Birmingham wholesaler who received the order from Thwaites.

1851 Directory listing

1670059807046.png

Value depends so much on desirability to a potential purchaser and the condition of the watch - impossible to give an accurate estimate from photographs. Most would sell for £100-£400. A service, which it will definitely require prior to use, with no or very little restoration work, would cost, if you can find someone to do the work, £200-£300.

In my opinion this type of watch is undervalued and while this is not an example of the highest quality, it is typical of its type which was been sold particularly in market towns across the UK in the mid C19th.

John

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
Hello Adrian,

I would think that the condition of dial and hands is most important for valuation, aside the functional condition of the movement. I agree that this kind of watch is undervalued, but this is generally true for most pocket watches, except for those of exceptional quality.

Best regards, Bernhard

Reactions: AdrianBusuttil

AdrianBusuttil

Dec 2, 2022
Country
Hello Adrian,

I would think that the condition of dial and hands is most important for valuation, aside the functional condition of the movement. I agree that this kind of watch is undervalued, but this is generally true for most pocket watches, except for those of exceptional quality.

Best regards, Bernhard
It's fully functional

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
The dial does seem to have chips at the edge and around the center hole. And a number of hairlines. The minute hands looks replaced, although I may be wrong. That imho would place it near the lower end of the range provided above.

rstl99

Oct 31, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Adrian,

In my humble opinion you should at least acknowledge and thank the fine people here who've spent time typing out well informed responses to your request.

Best regards,

Robert

AdrianBusuttil

Dec 2, 2022
Country
Adrian,

In my humble opinion you should at least acknowledge and thank the fine people here who've spent time typing out well informed responses to your request.

Best regards,

Robert
Thank you all gentlmen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trafxprt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry