"VALLON" 18S Question

knight.six

Jun 30, 2016
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Country
Region
I collect and restore fine mechanical pocket watches. Just came into possession of a "VALLON" 18S, HC, lever set, no jewel count but believe it's 7J, no precious metal marks/signs/etc, Unusual dial - roman numerals on circular blue crystal-like dots. Believe it's Swiss made but no "Vallon" serial number registry or any info at all. No mention of Vallon in ANY written reference I have (books or web). Be aware the movement serial number is "78369." I have gone to four (4) completely different/unrelated web links to Vallon watches for sale and ALL FOUR OF THEM HAVE THE EXACT SAME SERIAL NUMBER = "78369" !!! What little I have found so far would seem to indicate the "VALLON" and 78369 is/was engraved on all such movements and had outlets in Switzerland and New York. No method to date this watch or confirm its providence. No info in any reference I have for the star flag and can't find and info on the case (#6141589). Q: Could it be that a Swiss movement maker mass-produced movements and engraved them all with VALLON and 78369 for mass-consumption? Anyone else out there that can add anything? Greatly appreciated. John

04.08.2021 VALLON 3.jpg 04.08.2021 VALLON 6.jpg 04.08.2021 VALLON 7.jpg 04.08.2021 VAlLON 10.jpg

Last edited:

knight.six

Jun 30, 2016
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Country
Region
Today is May 9, 2021: UPDATE. I have researched PRICHARD Vol 1 and 2. Here's what I've found so far concerning Vallon Pocket Watches:

Prichard, Vol 2, pg V-20: Vallon, Jean Pierre, Genève
Master Watchmaker in the Chesne district of Genève at the end of the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] Century

Prichard Vol 2, Pg V-21
Vallon Watch Company, The, - see Didisheim; see Fontainemelon, see Juillard; see O. Maire
  • Didisheim: Prichard Vol 1, No mention or reference to “Vallon.” (so far)
  • Fontainemelon: Prichard Vol 1, Pg F-49 – Fabrique D’Horlogerie DE, SAPG F-50; para four, reference a branch in Corgemont; “This was the oldest watch factory in the Vallon.”
  • Juillard: Prichard Vol 1, (see Cortebert):
  • Cortebert, SA: Prichard Vol 1, pg C-70; “Other Company Names” – “The Vallon Watch Company.” (under) References: Jaquet, Vol 1, pg C-71; Eugene Jaquet, and A. Chapuis, G.A.Berner, S.. Guey “The Technique and History of the Swiss Watch,” Spring Books, Hamlyn Publishing Co., New York, 1970 (Jaquet).

“Jaquet illustrated PI, 109 a KW “Boston” (America-style) lever movement, 18s, marked ‘The Vallon Watch’ which he said was made for the American market in the late 19th century by CORTEBERT. The 1896 A.C. Becken Co., Chicago, catalog showed movements made to fit American cases, marked “The Vallon Watch,” 18s, stem-wind cylinders. The Vallon was imported by Hipp, Didisheim & Bro., New York.
  • O. Maire: Prichard Vol 2, pg M-6: Maire, Otto & Co., Lengnau, New York. “Other Company Names” - THE VALLON WATCH COMPANY.” (note – while listed at differing times, according to Prichard, pg. M-6, under ‘History’ = “The company was listed 1920-1924” which appears to be the first listing). Types: A 1930s-style pocket watch in a nickel case, one jewel, one adjustment, marked “Latonia” on the dial…”The Vallon Watch Co.” on the plates.
Conclusion: This is the culmination of my search for VALLON providence within Prichard so far. I have found NO reference to the FLAG with STAR on the case or the number 78369 which is appearing on every single VALLON pocket watch I have researched to date. The 1896 A.C. Becken Co. in Chicago was a JOBBER. I'm making inquiries as to the possibility he stamped the cases with the Flag/Star and put the same number on the movement plates of all of them. I will continue to make updates as more information comes to my attention. John

04.08.2021 VALLON 6.jpg 04.08.2021 VAlLON 10.jpg

knight.six

Jun 30, 2016
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Country
Region
Have you ever taken the dial off one?
It may help to see who was the maker by having a look under the dial.
Please see my earlier posts. I completely disassembled this Vallon pocket watch down to its last nut and bolt and posted pictures. There is no other information engraved anywhere on that watch movement that I haven't already identified and posted pictures of. Thanks for posting. John

knight.six

Jun 30, 2016
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Country
Region
05.27.2021: Sorry - there wasn't anything on the backside of the dial so I didn't think to post a picture of it. But you're correct, I should have. Please see the attached. After all the research I've done to date, including that from "Prichard," I'm relatively certain that A.C. Becken Co. imported the movements and packaged them for sale. "Who" in Switzerland he got them from is still up for debate, but really doesn't matter. Based on my opinion of the one I have and all others exactly like it (same serial # and "Vallon" on ALL of them!) - these were inexpensive common market timepieces with no providence.

04.20.2021 Disassembly 14.jpg 04.20.2021 Disassembly 45.jpg 04.20.2021 Disassembly 41.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AugustaKevin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller