Mechanical WW Valjoux(?) Wrist Timer With Bad Staff

Bob Ryan

Dec 8, 2009
Seattle
I would appreciate some help in identifying a timer I am working on that needs a new staff. It is a small, approximately 13L, timer in a wristwatch style case. Rather simple movement so not a stripped down chronograph. Dial and movement are marked "Clebar" and there is what I assume is the Valjoux script "R" underneath the balance cock. Marked "1507" near the balance and on the bottom of the balance cock itself (s/n?) and "41 5451" under the dial (41 looks a little smaller and is separated from the "5451").

I can't seem to find anything about this movement. Doesn't appear in the old Bestfit books. If the Jules Borel site still showed sizes I could look through all the Valjoux movement but that feature seems to be gone.

Attachments

Bob Ryan

Dec 8, 2009
Seattle
Believe it or not, this project is still waiting for me to find a staff. I've made a few attempts to match the staff measurements to those in the Bestfit books but had no luck finding one that fit.

Than recently I came across a watch that appears to use the same movement, a Universal Geneve countdown timer for yacht racing. The minute hand would need to be geared differently from my Clebar to make a complete revolution in 5 minutes instead of 30 but case, button and size look the same. So I though I would put this out there again to see if anyone can identify the movement. Picture attached of my Clebar dial and the Universal Geneve watches (Universal Genève Countdown watches 1930s | Rarebirds). See original post for pictures of my movement.

Thanks for looking.

Dial.jpg UnivGeneve.jpg

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
Can we see the logo?

Did you measure everything? You could get the full length from the good one, and diameters from the bad one taken apart. It sounds like you have - but you can't find something appropriate from the table in Bestfit starting on p429? It saves time even if you can just find something the right A&B heights but some diameters too big.

Can you share your measurements?

Bob Ryan

Dec 8, 2009
Seattle
Can we see the logo?

Did you measure everything? You could get the full length from the good one, and diameters from the bad one taken apart. It sounds like you have - but you can't find something appropriate from the table in Bestfit starting on p429? It saves time even if you can just find something the right A&B heights but some diameters too big.

Can we see the logo?

Chris,
You can see the logo in the last picture in the original post. It looks like the Valjoux “R” but without the shield around it.

I took dimensions and ordered a few staffs to try but was not close enough and all were too small so couldn’t turn down. I don’t have access to a large staff assortment so I t’s a slow and expensive process for me to order staffs and try them. That’s why I thought I’d try again to see if anyone recognized the movement.

As far as dimensions, the closest I came was with a Bestfit 1917 where A B C D E are 359 220 90 56 49. A was too small and B too big. My next try would be for something around 374 205 90 60 49.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meum
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-