valjoux 72 winding issue

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Mark Solomon, Apr 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The new version of the Forum is coming! This major upgrade of the Forum will take place in the early hours of November 2 and should be completed by noon. There will be no access to the Forum while the upgrade is taking place.
  1. Mark Solomon

Mark Solomon Registered User

Apr 22, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello.. I have a Valjoux 72 that when winding, the crown skips or becomes loose, then catches again. It repeats this motion as I continue to wind. Watch was serviced a couple of years ago and is a recent purchase. Keeping good time though....Thanks

2. Philip Poniz

Philip Poniz Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Male
    Princeton, NJ
    Can be many things. Although R72 classifies as a complicated movement because of the chronograph, the issue you describe has nothing to do with the chronograph. Therefore I have moved the thread to the forum that might be better for your problem.

3. Mark Solomon

Apr 22, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Philip....Does anyone have more to add? Could it be the ratchet wheel or is it in need of a new main-spring?

4. Al J

Al J Registered User

Jul 21, 2009
    Ratchet wheel tooth damage is a common issue on these movements. That's likely where I would start looking.

Cheers, Al

5. Mark Solomon

Apr 22, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Does anybody know a confident and competent watchmaker in the Chicagoland area? I’m having trouble finding someone who is passionate about vintage pieces.

6. Mark Solomon

Apr 22, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Would it be a ratchet wheel if it starts to slip after 23 turns?

7. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it winds 23 turns before it slips it is probably a broken mainspring, or a problem with the barrel hook keeping connection. If the watch is skipping teeth on each turn of the mainspring barrel it is more likely to be a problem related to the ratchet and ratchet wheel and will be visible as missing teeth or a rounded/distorted ratchet.

8. Mark Solomon

Apr 22, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much, Smudgy Still looking for a great watchmaker in Chicagoland

9. Al J

Al J Registered User

Jul 21, 2009
    No. So can you describe more fully what is actually happening? Your initial description of "skipping" when winding doesn't reflect what I normally feel with a broken manspring, or a spring that is slipping in the barrel - normally you wouldn't feel it in that way, although you might hear it when the spring slips.

Is the watch coming to a full wind, where the crown stops and it can't be wound any longer? If so, it's not a broken mainspring...

Tough to diagnose without all the information...so the more information you can give us the better.

As for servicing, this isn't anything special when it comes to vintage chronograph movements, so any competent watchmaker can service this.

Cheers, Al

10. Mark Solomon

Apr 22, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    When I wind the watch, I can get about 23 winds (half-winds actually), then the crown turns freely for one or two winds, then it catches again for a few winds, then it turns freely again, then catches again....The 23 winds gave me about 12 hours of reserve power. I hope this helps and I really appreciate the assistance...

11. Al J

Al J Registered User

Jul 21, 2009
    So the crown neve comes to a stop, where you can't wind it any longer?

After the 23 winds, do you hear anything...just before the crowns goes "loose" again?

If so, it may indeed be a broken mainspring.