V.E.NESBIT ser 184515 looking for information on DOM $ if movement original to case

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by smurphy, Apr 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. smurphy

smurphy Registered User

Oct 5, 2016
    Broadcast License Regulatory liason
    St Margarets Bay Hd of St Margarets
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 smurphy, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
    Being fairy new to this craft I am guessing the movement is 1890 and original to the case maker William Ehrhardt. Would appreciate a confirmation or a more accurate opinion as to the date of manufacturer and if the movement is original to the case.
    Thank's
    Kind Regards
    SMurphy

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: V.E.NESBIT ser 184515 looking for information on DOM $ if movement original to c

Hi SMurphy,

The case hallmarks show Birmingham 1890. At this time the Birmingham date letters were changed in July each year, so the actual date of assay will be from July 1890 until the end of June 1891; the date of manufacture of the movement will be in this range as well. Since the sponsor's mark in the case is for Ehrhardt, there's no reason to suppose that the case isn't original to the movement. I expect you know that the Ehrhardt factory made both cases and movements.

Everything looks to be in good condition, but if the watch hasn't been cleaned and serviced recently, running it for too long isn't a good idea.

Regards,

Graham

3. smurphy

smurphy Registered User

Oct 5, 2016
    Broadcast License Regulatory liason
    St Margarets Bay Hd of St Margarets
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: V.E.NESBIT ser 184515 looking for information on DOM $ if movement original to c

Yes it works but doesn't keep very accurate time. I have not had it serviced so will take your advice and not wind it again until it gets serviced. I have read that internal dust and grime may cause damage over time if used without being serviced. Good advice and Thank You.
    SMurphy