USPS blues

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by musicguy, Apr 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I sent two very nice "RR Grade" Elgin B W Raymond watches(1885 and 1890) out to my watch repair
    person with USPS priority mail and the USPS lost them somewhere(along the way). It's been 7 days
    since the estimated delivery date. I've filed a search with USPS but the person looking has no idea
    where it is currently. The tracking hasn't been updated in 6 days.

Rob

2. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Have you looked on Craigslist or Ebay or ..... You may find them there if someone with the USPS has lifted them.

3. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had a box that I thought I shipped USPS to France. But tracking never showed it to be received at the post office. I had printed the shipping information and paid on line and dropped it off at the postal office. I didn't ask for a receipt. Big mistake. Evidently it went directly into some ones car, and that would have to be either an employee or a contractor paid by USPS. Only cost me $700 and the contents never showed up anyplace that I know of. From my hands to theirs......postmaster didn't event make a report, she basically told me that could not have happened and I was badly mistaken about dropping it off.....

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I ordered something from Connecticut and it arrived in Heathrow 36 hours after I ordered it courtesy of USPS. The tracker then said it was on its way to me by truck just a few hours later.

In fact what happened was it took a week and one hour to move from one part of Heathrow to another. 3 days to make the 100 mile journey to my local Royal Mail office. 3 days to be delivered the last mile after paying customs on it.

This seems like USPS brilliant, Royal Mail awful. However the week and one day was the USPS agent in Heathrow, but the 36 hours was brilliant.

I sent a letter to up state New York, registered priority mail, it took 36 hours to get to New York, then 2 weeks to move upstate and get signed for. That makes it evens, though there was no customs clearance.

5. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Some luck, the USPS postal investigator might have found it
    but I'll believe it when (and if) it gets to it's final destination.
    I had paid extra $ for priority mail for to arrive there
    in 2-4 days so when it's 10 days later(after delivery date) you know something
    whet wrong. I guess you never know what will happen
    when you ship something.

Rob

6. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I shipped a fairly small and fairly expensive clock to the Netherlands using USPS, tracking of course and also insured. Clock made it to the Netherlands in short order, like 3 days. Made it to customs and fell off the face of the earth. 30 days and nothing. 45 days later I refunded the $1800 plus shipping to the buyer. Insurance claim not allowed as all I could prove was it arrived in Dutch customs. Unhappy to say the very least. Nearly 6 months later I get email from the buyer. Clock has arrived, it was in customs the whole time, check is in the mail to me. Thank goodness for an honest buyer on that end. Tracking and insurance don't flow over country lines very well.

7. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Jim DuBois wrote:
    Good for you, and yes it's nice to deal with honest people.

Rob

8. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your local USPS supervisor may be able to get more information. I recently had a shipment sent to me for which I paid $650. Looking online, day after day it just said "enroute to destination", but also stated that it would not be delivered by the estimated delivery date. I talked to our local supervisor and he was able to print out a much more detailed tracking chain. The last entry was "sent to reject bin"!

9. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I believe that you are correct, and thats who is been looking for my package. Hopefully it was taken
    out of the "reject bin".

Rob

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sometimes a package arrives years after it was sent! Wedged in a machine, or such. :)

11. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In 1986 I was on a chemical plant startup in Bombay, India for three weeks. Every several days I would send home a postcard. They typically took nine days to arrive in Cleveland Ohio. Except one. It took 10 months to arrive. It must have sailed around the world 50 times!

Frank

12. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had a similar thing happen about 10 years ago, I bought an L&R watch cleaning machine off Ebay, it was sent USPS, insured. Two weeks later it had not arrived even though it was shown to have arrived at the Bronxville post office. I went to the post office, they said they didn't have it and to check the Yonkers branch, they didn't have it. I went back to the other office, they said they didn't have it even though the tracking showed it had gotten there. It finally appeared after nearly a month, the box looked like it went through a war, the jars were broken. Luckily it still worked and I could substitute quart canning jars but talking to the local employees of the post offices gets your nowhere usually, just a couple of books of stamps.

13. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had a similar experience. I ordered a bunch of car parts & paid for 2-day delivery because the only time I could work on the car was THAT weekend. I stayed home on Friday to be SURE I got the package. Made an absolute pest of myself at the post office & by phone. The next day tracking said it had been left on my porch on the morning it was supposed to have been delivered. I spent a week or so making a pest of myself. Two weeks later, it magically appeared on my porch - in good condition. I never found out where it had been for that 2 weeks.

14. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Had a very similar experience with a UPS shipment of repair parts from one of our best parts houses early this year. UPS said "left on porch." I was here waiting on the shipment, saw UPS truck drive round the cul de sac and it never stopped. 2+ weeks go by they still say it was left on the porch, driver stops by and tells me the same (we more or less live out in what was the country). Supplier replaces the materials at our cost (since it was "delivered") Nearly a month later I am looking outside in a heavy rainstorm and see a lump leaning against our mailbox, which is few hundred feed from the house. Yes, it was the long missing box, unopened, but now completely soaked through. Where was it and who had it and why it was left at the base of the mailbox on and on? I think a neighbor had found it on their porch (I had asked them all to look for it weeks ago) and just followed the path of least resistance and dropped it at our mail box, it wouldn't fit inside. And then there was the box that was delivered to our porch late last fall, GPS tracking via USPS showed time and point of delivery, and it walked off with us here.....but that is another problem we see on the news frequently

15. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I feel the need to be the contrarian here (wow, that's a surprise, huh?).

My experience is that all shippers are significantly < great with my least aggravating experiences being with the USPS! Now granted, that may not be saying much given the baseline and they are way far from perfect.

However, my local mail carrier does things like leaving the package under the awning of my side door. If raining and it fits, she places the package in a plastic bag and if not, I have to go pick it up rather than letting it get soaked!. Many times if there is additional mail that day and the package is of a smaller size, she will use a rubber band to attach the mail to it.

My absolutely WORST experiences have been with UPS and FedEx. The most recent example. I sold a rather rare New Haven full sized 8 day steeple timepiece to a friend in the Midwest. Needed to be shipped. Went to UPS, paid > $100 (yes, that's right and there went my rather nominal profit and then some) to have them "professionally" pack it and then ship it. Well, it arrived in the time frame expected but literally shaken to pieces though the case and glasses were thankfully okay. Luckily nothing was damaged and it easily went back together. I called the local UPS Store and they were perplexed about what I was so upset about. They especially lost all interest when I said I wasn't filing claim.

There is a silver lining, however. When I "do" antique shows, it occasionally get the iPhone or iPad placed under my nose to show me how something I'm offering for sale was a few $'s less on, well, you know where. Typically that goes away when I show them what was paid for shipping and then I casually mention how often an item like this is lost or damaged in shipping so you go right ahead and buy it on-line. That has often made the sale.

RM

16. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RM.
    My experiences are similar. USPS rarely breaks anything and generally knows where things are.
    UPS is the worst. Those gorillas will consistently destroy clocks. Like they love the sound of breaking glass.
    As for UPS Stuff going missing for long periods... One thing the drivers do is get a storage locker somewhere near the middle of their driving territory and hold items there until they have enough to take to a certain area, based on some magical criteria of their own.

17. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree. I use USPS for all my shipping. About 1500 packages last year. Not a single lost or broken item. The experience I detailed above about the 'reject bin' was unique and probably due to inadequate packaging by the seller.

18. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Down here in Aussie land (Darwin) slow Post is pretty normal, despite the Camel Post stopping in 1926. It does not matter how it is shipped; it could be if it existed, "Super Priority Gold plated Service and sent by Concorde" sic it all takes the same time to get to me; a Bloody long time. At the moment I am waiting for a Ruby Duplex, which has just arrived in Sydney; maybe. The new mail sorting center in Sydney has slowed up things, which I thought was impossible to get slower. When something gets to Winnellie depot it can then take 4-5 days to get to me in Palmerston 18 Kilometers away. The longest time for something to arrive is 3 years for some Diamond grinding wheels from the Crimean area. The good thing is out of about 1000 parcels over the years only one has been stolen; it was marked on the parcel "Gold Pocket Watch", I later found out; may as well be "Please Take Me". It was actually a very worn plated pocket watch; I only wanted it for the movement; the Case was too badly worn to be of any use. Regards Ray

19. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you are shipping valuable items in the United States, you should never use priority mail. The correct service is Registered Mail. In addition to being an order of magnitude safer, it is actually cheaper if the insured value is large and there is a higher ($50,000) limit. Registered mail is signed and logged by every postal employee who handles it and locked in a safe any time it is not in transit.

If you ship to the United Kingdom from the U.S. registered mail is converted to Royal Mail signed for. I believe the safety level is the same, but insurance is not available. I have purchased valuable items for UK friends and sent them by that means with no problems except the unavoidable UK custom delays (even if properly marked and duty free).

upload_2018-4-21_21-57-42.png

20. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, good advice. I've used USPS Registered Mail a number of times for valuable clocks with zero problems. Slower than Priority Mail but gets there in one piece.