• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

using ultrasonic cleaner on Blued parts

B

burnerman

Does anyone know if blued parts can be put in an ultrasonic cleaner or if it will damage the finish?

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
The effects of ultra-sonic action alone should not affect the color of metals except under extreme circumstances.

However the chemicals used in the cleaning process can affect texture and surface of metals depending on the relationship between the metal and the cleaning fluid.

The blue hue is an oxide of iron and if the cleaning chemical will reduce or react with oxides of iron, then there will be some change depending on temperature, strength of the chemical and exposure time.

Normally, petroleum solvents have no reactive effect on steel parts regardless of color.

All that being said, the simple functional test for any ultrasonic cleaning device involves immersion of a scrap of aluminum foil dipped into water agitated ultrasonically. The appearance of the foil will be drastically affected!

Why do you ask? Have you encountered a problem with the cleaning process?

B

burnerman

Les
I'v just never put blued parts in it before, only clock parts. My son brought over a gun to see if I could clean it in my machine and I didn't want to damage it. Wanted to be sure. I did take and old gun part and tried it and as you said it had no effect on the finish but did do an excellant job cleaning it.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul Irish
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-