Using topic prefixes to filter watch repair threads by watch type

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Tom McIntyre, Apr 2, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Tom McIntyre, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    In response to a request for an American Pocket Watch Repair forum, *I have added the Prefix feature to the Watch Repair Forum'.

This feature has two parts.

First, when you create a thread, you can assign a prefix to it to show what kind of watch you are repairing or want to repair. When you click on New Thread, there is a box with a drop down list of topic prefixes as shown below,

ThreadPickPrefix.jpg

When you are reading the forum and want to only show a particular type of watch, you can select from the same set of prefixes which ones you want to show.

We have used a set of database queries to guess which prefix should hold each of the threads, but since this is mechanical, there are likely to be quite a few errors. If you see a thread that you think iis mis-classified, please report it.

Many threads have not yet been classified at all. So if you know that some threads contain a particular word or phrase that identifies them with one of the prefixes please report that also with the key word or phrase you would choose to identify those items/.

Finally, if you have additional prefixes of the broad kind in this list, please suggest them for inclusion along with a phrase that could be used to recognize threads needing that prefix.

Note there is only one prefix allowed per thread.

ThreadSelectPrefix.jpg

------- upgrade note -------
    The prefixes may now be clicked to see all threads with the same prefix. If the list is being filtered by prefix, clicking on the prefix will remove the filter. The list of threads without a prefix still requires you to use the selector drop down shown below the thread list.

Dave T likes this.
  2. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The thread prefixes that display ith the titles were shortened and made italic so they would be less intrusive. Since there were some comments that the alpha prefixes were still a bit confusing, they have been changed to flag icons for the national prefixes for American, Swiss and English pocketwatches and the UN flag for other pocketwatches.

If anyone has suggestions for similar treatment of Mechanical and Electric wristwatches I would appreciate suggestions and/or artwork.

3. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,
    Because this forum deals with cleaning, adjusting, repairs, etc. we need some more prefixs to use on the threads.

I am sorry but I am no artist.

4. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry Jim for not seeing this post in over a year. I do not do much repair so seldom read here.

There is only one prefix allowed per thread on vBulletin. Our new forum software will allow more than one if we like.

I would like to see us make better use of prefixes, but it will clearly require someone to moderate their use since people with questions do not seem to have much interest in using them judging from their frequency of appearance.

We can make them required to post a thread, but a lot of people react negatively to anything that they feel gets in the way of asking a question.