Used staking set needs a polish

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by ChrisCam, Sep 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi any one got any tips on a good way to polish up a used k & d staking set. Surface rust should I bother or just wipe with oil?

regards
    Chris

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    an evapo-rust bath, followed by rinse, blow dry, and polishing using a brass wire wheel on a grinder setup... is what i did.

3. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Bruce, is it a good idea to then wipe them with an oily rag or not? I can see 2 arguments here , oil on a surface verses rust coming back....:???:

Chris

4. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just sat down in front of the idiot box (television, for those of you who are unfamiliar with that term) with a steel wool pad, a towel, a scrap of an old cotton shirt, and my can of Hoppe's gun oil. The towel was primarily to keep steel wool particles out of my crotch. I got the rust off and then treated everything like I do the outsides of my firearms - a bit of gun oil on a rag, wipe on, wipe dry. That was eight? nine? years ago, and it's been good since. A pinch of steel wool will get into the cracks and crevices, like in the roller-table punches. It's a really mindless thing to do and provides very satisfying results.

Glen

Dave T likes this.
  5. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As an additional question my box which is original K & D Junior Inverto 600 and it has 2 sections where stakes go comprising 10 rows by 5 columns on each side. But which stake should go where anyone got a diagram?

Chris

6. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glen is gun oil good because it wont make your hands dirty or is there any other reason other than that is what you had to hand. I have googled for the best oil but too many different opinions, however 3 in 1 seems also OK?

Chris

7. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sure, 3 in 1 is about the same stuff as Hoppe's. (Ok, gun nuts, let's not get all "thing" about it, I said "about".) Sewing machine oil does well, too. Any lightweight "penetrating oil". I use Hoppe's purely because I had it on hand, it does exactly what I want it to do for this purpose, it's what I've used on firearms for well over fifty years, and I like how it smells. No other reason than that. (How about that for scientific?) As I said earlier, wipe the piece dry after wiping it with an oil-dampened cloth. There's no need to leave any that you can detect other than by sniffing the piece. It's how I protected all my pieces in the Houston area (essentially a swamp, in other words) when I was a sheriff's deputy, so I trust the technique with my life. It'll do ya good in Dear Old Blighty, too. :)

Glen

8. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You should order them by number. That way all similar stakes are together. Which direction you order them (across vs. up and down) is personal preference. I usually see them ordered across in the left section first and then in the right. That's how mine is ordered.

9. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thanks Dave, Yes I agrre I could order by number which in fact I will do but also each stake usually has a dimension that goes with it so printing this out and sticking it inside the lid for reference if needed seems the way to go. Sticking the paper with pritstick paper glue seems OK as is water soluble if you need to remove it.

Chris

10. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Glen its good to see someone admitting he did something mindless which worked (wirewool the stakes). I have done exactly what you have done with a towel watching TV but just used a scouring pad which is equally mindless but worked well. 3 in ! ioil t will be to finish....no guns in house....this is England.
    Chris

11. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good idea! You could use this philosophy to do a lot of little projects while sitting in front of that "box". In my case it would save a lot of wear and tear on the remote to scan the channels looking for something to watch, without a commercial!.

12. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: