• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Urgos Wall Clock Missing Pendulum

Henry Finley

New User
Sep 10, 2021
Country
I am asking this question for a friend who is not computer savvy. He recently acquired a Urgos wall clock, minus pendulum. I am attaching photos and description in effort to help someone who may know a remedy. The serial number in one of the photos doesn't seem helpful. However the designation PL 65CM seems more helpful. I located a thread from 2014 on this site about a grandfather clock that appears to use a similar mechanism and saved the photo of the pendulum from that clock discussion and am attaching it here. Can someone put me on the trail of a pendulum for this thing? Thank you.

back 2.jpg back.jpg face.jpg numbers.jpg pendulum.jpg text.jpg

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
Here's a website that explains how to select a pendulum for Urgos. The PL 65CM is stamped on the movement to let you know it uses a 65cm pendulum. 66cm should be close enough with the adjustable nut on the bottom. Read through the explanation toward the bottom. His movement should have another number which would make finding the correct one easier.

UW-Urgos Stick Clock Pendulum - Get the right one - Clockworks - Clockworks

Does his clock have the leader? The small piece in your pendulum picture?

Henry Finley

New User
Sep 10, 2021
Country
Thank you for your reply. I am going to answer yes on the leader, although I have not seen the clock. I had already emailed Clockworks and got a short answer: "We do not have parts for that clock". Well, duh. I didn't expect them to have an EXACT part. But certainly They could have told me how to get by with jury-rigging something. So the length is 65cm. So my next question is what would be a reasonable weight size and/or weight? Can you give a good guess?

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
It's strange that they weren't helpful. It'd be a shame to order the pendulum and have it not fit. I think we need to move this thread to clock repair - I'll see if I can get the moderator to move it. We'll get a lot more help - the Parts Wanted area doesn't get many hits.

EscapeWheel

Mar 19, 2003
Country
Region
I requested the move - I'm thinking that your movement might be an older model that needs more attention from folks more knowledgeable on Urgos. BTW - older might be a good thing!

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
The photos do not show the bottom of the leader where the pendulum connects. The pendulum must have the proper hook on the top of the pendulum rod to match the leader as you know. These clocks have light weight pendulum bobs that are usually about 2 inches across. The length on the movement is the most important thing. Like EW says, something close will be fine.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
My advice is to not spend any money on a pendulum till you are certain the clock will run. The clock does not care what is on the end of that pendulum leader. You should be able to fabricate something and hang it on there. A paper clip, some masking tape, a pebble?

Many times clocks for sale are offered because they are not capable of running. Mostly due to wear due to long use. The pendulum gets separated from the clock after the movement gets worn out. Supplying a pendulum likely will not make the clock run as that clock is old enough to have been worn out several times.

That clock is not a particularly rare or desirable clock and has almost nil resale value so there is not a lot of sense in investing very much.

That is my opinion based on many years collecting and repairing.

Dick

Reactions: Willie X

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Just about any pendulum will work as long as it has the correct top hook. There are at least two kinds of top hooks. One is thin brass and has 3 small oblong holes in a triangle pattern. The other has a single larger oblong hole/eye with a narrow neck below. The later 'eye' type is for a brass rod and the former (3 hole type) would have been for a wooden stick. The bob would have been 3 to 4 1/2" in diameter.

A better photo of the bottom 2' of the leader, from the front, would help.

Willie X

Henry Finley

New User
Sep 10, 2021
Country
Just about any pendulum will work as long as it has the correct top hook. There are at least two kinds of top hooks. One is thin brass and has 3 small oblong holes in a triangle pattern. The other has a single larger oblong hole/eye with a narrow neck below. The later 'eye' type is for a brass rod and the former (3 hole type) would have been for a wooden stick. The bob would have been 3 to 4 1/2" in diameter.

A better photo of the bottom 2' of the leader, from the front, would help.

Willie X
I got my buddy to send me a photo of the leader. I cropped it so as to leave in his thumb, hoping it would help with scale. Sounds like we may be on the trail of a replacement soon. Thank you folks.

leader.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helplessfanatic12
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-