Urgos UW 66009 Help

Shadowraith

NAWCC Member
Apr 7, 2017
New Jersey
Country
Region
Recently picked a Howard Miller grandfather clock 565987 with the infamous Urgos UW 66009 movement in it. I haven't included pictures yet as I haven't removed the movement from the case yet. However after reading some of the forums here and elsewhere I'm wondering whether I should try to repair, not having all the right tools, or replace. If there's a replacement. I have been working with clocks for about 40 something years as a hobby. Though I certainly do not claim to be an expert. I just like mechanical things. With clocks being high on the list.
I guess basically I'm asking whether it's worth repairing or just replace it if there's a replacement available.

Thanks John

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I don't recognize the numbers, but don't think there's a movement available any more. All movements are worth repairing :)

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
++
I don't recognize the numbers, but don't think there's a movement available any more. All movements are worth repairing :)
The new number is 66020. It might be available. Contact Mark Butterworth to find out

Shadowraith

NAWCC Member
Apr 7, 2017
New Jersey
Country
Region
Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me if the 66020 is an exact duplicate of the 66009? Basically from a mounting point of view.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Recently picked a Howard Miller grandfather clock 565987 with the infamous Urgos UW 66009 movement in it. I haven't included pictures yet as I haven't removed the movement from the case yet. However after reading some of the forums here and elsewhere I'm wondering whether I should try to repair, not having all the right tools, or replace. If there's a replacement. I have been working with clocks for about 40 something years as a hobby. Though I certainly do not claim to be an expert. I just like mechanical things. With clocks being high on the list.
I guess basically I'm asking whether it's worth repairing or just replace it if there's a replacement available.

Thanks John

Why would that particular Urgos movement be particularly infamous? Do they, like, melt?

jimtone

Dec 28, 2011
Is it possible to replace this Urgos UW66009 movement with another brand 3 train? I'm also not seeing many good comments on the UW66009 or UW66020. When searching for a replacement I see prices much lower for Hermle movements and since this Howard Miller 610-274 came with both I'm wanting to know which way best to go??

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Labor wise you will be much better off with the Urgos to Urgos.

The winding holes won't line up for an 1161 Hermle, so you would need to deal with that plus different weights and pendulum hook.

You would have the lowest cost going with a 451 Hermle and the chain drive will not care where the winding holes are. You would still have the 'different weight's' and 'different pendulum hooks'. This one will probably need shims to line up the hand shaft.

These 'change overs' are never as easy as you may think. It's the ole 'devil in th details' thing. Like what to do with the chime block?

Willie X

Last edited:

jimtone

Dec 28, 2011
Labor wise you will be much better off with the Urgos to Urgos.

The winding holes won't line up for an 1161 Hermle, so you would need to deal with that plus different weights and pendulum hook.

You would have the lowest cost going with a 451 Hermle and the chain drive will not care where the winding holes are. You would still have the 'different weight's' and 'different pendulum hooks'. This one will probably need shims to line up the hand shaft.

These 'change overs' are never as easy as you may think. It's the ole 'devil in th details' thing. Like what to do with the chime block?

Willie X
I was thinking these things might be the case? Thanks for responding to my revival of this "old thread". I cleaned and oiled the pivots and put it in beat and it ran for 35 minutes today before stopping. I haven't removed the movement, but that will be my next move to create a mounting jig so as to hang weights and pendulum to run outside the cabinet. I can't see very well with it in the cabinet? I'll write back when jig is fitted. THX.

jimtone

Dec 28, 2011
I've removed the movement and found the bushes on the hour and minute shaft pivots are badly worm (oval shaped) with too much side movement. I can't find any demos showing letting down the springs for disassembly of the movement? Movement is Urgos UW66009 and all other bushes look good. Clockworks shows clicks & springs but mine doesn't have this on the front near the winding posts. I'm needing instuctions.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Springs??

Yes, the show stopper is usually the center shaft, worn out on both ends. The winding arbors, and other places too, can have serious wear issues.

The center shaft pivot holes can be repaired with two bushings but you might not be able to find a new center shaft and the job won't last long with the old one.

Willie X

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
The greatest issue with the older UW66 series was the weak design of the escape wheel teeth and the automatic beat verge. This has been replaced with the Hermle escape wheel and verge in the new model which is far more reliable.

Reactions: Peter John

jimtone

Dec 28, 2011
Is Hermel the name that makes the UW66020? I've told read this is the proper replacement for the UW66009 movement.

jimtone

Dec 28, 2011
Hermle UW66020 is an exact replacement for Urgos uw66009? I'm not wanting to change anything at the price they cost?

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
Folks have replaced hundreds of these with the UW 66020 with no problem. Dial fits, etc. the difference is small. The new version also has the improved verge and escape wheel

Reactions: Jaap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00035Skip
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller