• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Urgos UW 32/1 Pendulum has a wobble

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
I cleaned an oiled the UW 32/1 movement and replaced some bushings. The clock will run all day with just the leader attached but when I attach the pendulum it will run for about 10 minutes and stop. I believe it could be because the pendulum has a slight wobble to it. I have tried different suspension springs and played around with the crutch a bit. I don't know what else to try. Please take a look at the videos posted.
Thanks,
Naif Baidoon

Links for videos:
Running with Leader

Pendulum Wobble

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A pendulum wobble won't stop a clock that's in good condition. It will run right on with a wobbling pendulum. But a wobble will deduct from the pendulum's amplitude. So, if the clock is barely running, a wobble CAN make it stop. 90% of the time a new suspension will cure the wobble. If it doesn't, something is usually misaligned somewhere at the leader, or crutch, or both. Willie X

Reactions: Naif Baidoon

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I cleaned an oiled the UW 32/1 movement and replaced some bushings. The clock will run all day with just the leader attached but when I attach the pendulum it will run for about 10 minutes and stop. I believe it could be because the pendulum has a slight wobble to it. I have tried different suspension springs and played around with the crutch a bit. I don't know what else to try. Please take a look at the videos posted.
Thanks,
Naif Baidoon

Links for videos:
Running with Leader

Pendulum Wobble
Videos won’t open. Please upload to youtube and then post here.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
A pendulum wobble won't stop a clock that's in good condition. It will run right on with a wobbling pendulum. But a wobble will deduct from the pendulum's amplitude. So, if the clock is barely running, a wobble CAN make it stop. 90% of the time a new suspension will cure the wobble. If it doesn't, something is usually misaligned somewhere at the leader, or crutch, or both. Willie X
Thanks Willie, I will keep at it a little longer.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Joe is correct and that may be yer problem there ...

But don't make it flat. The leader is supposed to have a slight (maybe 2mm) offset/dog leg, between the top hook and the crutch fork. However, both the top and bottom straight portions should be parallel. Hold a straightedge against the upper part and bend the lower part until it's parallel to the straight edge. The little offset/dogleg should remain.

Note, when you make that gigantic over-swing of the pendulum, it's putting a lot of strain on the escapement parts. Trouble will be forthcoming! :oops:

Willie X

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
The suspension spring must be tight in the chops (where the spring enters the groove at the top). Any play there will cause wobble in the disc . I tend to close the chops up a little using pliers and then push the spring snugly in position , opening the chops slightly with a screw driver to help locate/align the spring.
It’s amazing how much difference this makes especially when it comes to the large pendulums used on the MSU movements and 1171’s.
Good luck

Last edited:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
One other thing to check is the crutch pin. The leader should hang down through the center of the pin on the crutch. Yours looks (hard to see) like the crutch may be touching the back side of the leader. That will stop the clock. If it is, bend the crutch arm slightly back toward the plate.

Reactions: Naif Baidoon

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Joe,
You get full credit. :)
I just wanted the OP to leave that little factory offset. Some have that and some don't. I think that offset is there to make the whole pendulum assembly hang exactly in line with the center of the lower suspension spring pin.
WIllie X

Reactions: Joe Somebody

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
The suspension spring must be tight in the chops (where the spring enters the groove at the top). Any play there will cause wobble in the disc . I tend to close the chops up a little using pliers and then push the spring snugly in position , opening the chops slightly if you to do with a screw driver to help locate/align the spring.
It’s amazing how much difference this makes especially when it comes to the large pendulums used on the MSU movements and 1171’s.
Good luck
Are you referring to Michigan State University when you referred to MSU? What are 1171 movements ?

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
One other thing to check is the crutch pin. The leader should hang down through the center of the pin on the crutch. Yours looks (hard to see) like the crutch may be touching the back side of the leader. That will stop the clock. If it is, bend the crutch arm slightly back toward the plate.
Thanks for the info. I will double check this tomorrow.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
i straighten out the leader and adjusted it so that the suspension spring sits in there tight. This all helped eliminate the wobble but the clock still stops. I am not sure about the suspension spring I am trying to use I have tried several different ones but none have made a big difference.
I am going to call Merritt's tomorrow to see if they can help me out with selecting one to use. Hard to believe there is not a source to turn to about sizing suspension springs.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
i straighten out the leader and adjusted it so that the suspension spring sits in there tight. This all helped eliminate the wobble but the clock still stops. I am not sure about the suspension spring I am trying to use I have tried several different ones but none have made a big difference.
I am going to call Merritt's tomorrow to see if they can help me out with selecting one to use. Hard to believe there is not a source to turn to about sizing suspension springs.
I don’t think your problem is the suspension spring. In the first video with the pendulum on, the crutch looks like it is touching the leader. The crutch must be bent back toward the plate so the leader hangs through the leader slot without binding against the back or front of the slot. Did you check that and correct it?

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
I don’t think your problem is the suspension spring. In the first video with the pendulum on, the crutch looks like it is touching the leader. The crutch must be bent back toward the plate so the leader hangs through the leader slot without binding against the back or front of the slot. Did you check that and correct it?
I turned the leader around made more sense to hang it this way. I will post some pictures.

IMG_0504.jpg IMG_0505.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Your leader is now on backwards. The pendulum should hang on from the front.

Looks like you need to remove the stick from your bob and rotate it 180°. It has a front and back also. The split side of the top hook goes to the back.

Willie X

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
running with just the leader tells you nothing… some movements will, some won’t.

I don’t see the leader hitting the back of the crutch… but it does look too tight. there needs to be a little slop.

you need to check the usual suspects:

1. suspension spring snug in chops/bridge
2. in beat… it is when you do your initial too big swing, but when it settles down it isn’t. that, and too tight crutch forks can both be showstoppers
3. pendulum swings perfectly with no wobble with crutch removed… if there’s still a wobble, try a different suspension spring. if they pendulum doesn’t swing perfectly parallel to movement plates, adjust the little hanger pieces at the top until it does.
4. leader not too tight in crutch… need a little slop
5. when starting the pendulum swinging, give just enough of a push to get it going

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
Your leader is now on backwards. The pendulum should hang on from the front.

Looks like you need to remove the stick from your bob and rotate it 180°. It has a front and back also. The split side of the top hook goes to the back.

Willie X
Thanks Willie, I will switch them around.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
running with just the leader tells you nothing… some movements will, some won’t.

I don’t see the leader hitting the back of the crutch… but it does look too tight. there needs to be a little slop.

you need to check the usual suspects:

1. suspension spring snug in chops/bridge
2. in beat… it is when you do your initial too big swing, but when it settles down it isn’t. that, and too tight crutch forks can both be showstoppers
3. pendulum swings perfectly with no wobble with crutch removed… if there’s still a wobble, try a different suspension spring. if they pendulum doesn’t swing perfectly parallel to movement plates, adjust the little hanger pieces at the top until it does.
4. leader not too tight in crutch… need a little slop
5. when starting the pendulum swinging, give just enough of a push to get it going
Thanks, I will check these things out.

Naif Baidoon

Nov 24, 2019
Country
I located another leader on eBay but I picked up a leader with another movement for just a couple bucks more. It also had a suspension spring on it but was missing a few parts from the chime mechanism that was located on the face of the movement. Just for the heck of it I cleaned it up oiled it and it ran even with the wobble from the pendulum. I took the chime parts from my original movement and attached them to the newly acquired movement. I turned the hanger for the pendulum around and its been running without flaw for about a week.
I know its cheating but I am going to install the new movement in the case. Someday I will come back to try to figure out why the other one would not run. I don't think it was all about the pendulum and leader.
Doing these clock repairs can be so frustrating and enjoyable, just a few moments can swing your mood from one extreme to the next.
Thank you for all the feedback its always a big help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevetrump
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-