Urgos UW 03083 Grandfather Clock Movement

TXTIME51

Jan 2, 2021
Country
Have an Urgos uw03083 grandfather clock movement that need some advice on. Brand new movement but made the mistake of removing the arbor shaft so could get more cable out so could hook on the weights. I marked the gears but has gone downhill since then. Have three pictures, showing the top and bottom of each gear. On the top of each, there is a line made in the gear. Underneath, are cams (probably not correct term for them). On third picture, I did a sketch showing relationships between top and bottom. Arrows pointing to top mark, blocks the cams. The problem I am having is the each train stops at a different place, the cams have connected and stops the train. I thought I had it when having to two marks pointing to each other but definitely not right. The right gear has 25 teeth, the left one, 24. I have never worked on this kind of movement before so only guessing this is to stop the train before the drum is completely unwound. So my questions are, 1, what exactly are these cams for and 2, what is the correct locations for the marks so it works correctly? Playing with old movement, seems like the winding gear if pointing up and idler gear pointing down, I get about 14 rotations before it stop but I have no idea what is right. Thanks for any advice.

184F5C53-D8CC-45DF-9D62-1EA470705B49.jpeg A16036EC-67B7-4B05-87C0-098B0BAF3D04.jpeg

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
If the movement is new, it is likely a UM03083 and not UW03083. That would make it a 9 tube movement.
The mechanism you asked about is called the stop works.
That will stop the cable drum before the cable unhooks itself on the bottom and also prevent the weights being locked against the seat board when fully wound.
An old discussion of how to set the stop works on an Urgos movement can be found at this link: https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/urgos-9-tubular-bell-stop-works.92031/

Good luck with that.

Dick

Last edited:
Reactions: TXTIME51

TXTIME51

Jan 2, 2021
Country
If the movement is new, it is likely a UM03083 and not UW03083. That would make it a 9 tube movement.
That will stop the cable drum before the cable unhooks itself on the bottom and also prevent the weights being locked against the seat board when fully wound.
An old discussion of how to set the stop works on an Urgos movement can be found at this link: https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/urgos-9-tubular-bell-stop-works.92031/

Good luck with that.

Dick
Thank you so much, I had thought of unwinding completely, set the gears and then rewind But didn’t know where to set the marks to begin. Even though a new movement (to me), it is the UW, not sure why, new/old/rebuilt stock or what. same as original. Again, thank you, I knew there had to be a way to fix this problem.

Good luck with that.

Dick

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Sorry for the confusion.
Some of the current suppliers use the prefex UW, some use UM and some use only the numbers.
Best,
Dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drjjpdc
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff