Urgos deadbeat adjustment

Joe Somebody

Jan 29, 2020
Country
My first post! And a Big Thank You to all the fine folks here!
I started working on clocks last year in September after inheriting my father in law’s Waterbury kitchen clock. It was in tough shape, but after reading here, buying some tools and bushings, it was soon running like a champ! I always liked clocks and like to tinker, so a match made in heaven was in the offing!
Around 20 clocks later here I am...lol

I have a early 80’s Howard Miller GF with an Urgos movement. It has the deadbeat with autobeat. My problem was a rather anemic pendulum swing. Kept good time after a disassembly and some bushing work, but felt it could do better than a 2-1/2” swing. After reading through all the posts on the Urgos EW, I adjusted per instructions and Voila! A nice 3-1/4” swing and a noticeably louder “tick”.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Welcome, Joe. Sounds like you’re doing great. Lots of repairers replace those Urgos movements with new ones. They can be rebuilt. This is a wonderful forum. I’ve learned so much here. Don’t wait to post again. Love to hear good news!

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Hi Joe, I would say that a lot of us had started this hobby in similar fashion. It seems to be never ending with learning and discovery opportunities which just builds interest!

Reactions: Joe Somebody

Joe Somebody

Jan 29, 2020
Country
Thanks for the encouragement! We all need that sometimes.
I have read a ton of posts on here and it has helped immensely.
You and bangster have really put up some great stuff!
Bangsters article on bushing by hand was helpful, I started out with just broaches and finally got a set of kwm reamers with speeds up the process 10 fold!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm glad you got up enough nerve to dig into clocks, and to finally post here! I hope you'll continue both, and share your experiences!

Joe Somebody

Jan 29, 2020
Country
Not just nerve, might be a little balderdash involved. ;) Actually, I am an industrial maintenance guy, this mean jack of all trades, hopefully master of one. I have worked on a lot of equipment over the years and like to tinker, so this is right up my ally, just on a much smaller scale.
Thanks to all the good folks here who generously share such wealth of information it gives your fellow enthusiasts (me) the help to figure things out when you have a problem!
This forum has been an invaluable resource. Thanks to all who share here.

Reactions: Vernon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akrampe64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff