Urgos Bim-Bam Question

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by kologha, Nov 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The new version of the Forum is coming! This major upgrade of the Forum will take place in the early hours of November 2 and should be completed by noon. There will be no access to the Forum while the upgrade is taking place.
  1. kologha

kologha Registered User

Dec 11, 2011
    Retired Production Engineer, Nissan SA Motor Con
    Eastern Cape SA
    Country Flag:
    My Urgos Bim-Bam Mantel clock has arrived but I see it has two chime rods and three hammers, one hammer strikes fresh air between the two chime rods. I thought at first the centre chime rod had broken off, but there is no sign that it was ever there as there is just a hole in the chime block. I would have thought that if one of the chime rods had broken off, the screw and stub of the broken rod would have remained behind. Underneath the clock it has "3 Slab Bimbam" stamped in ink, obviously done when it was manufactured. Can anyone confirm whether it might have been made with only two chime rods?

2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    if you could add some pictures it would help - the dial, the movement area and especially the chime block and hammers

3. kologha

kologha Registered User

Dec 11, 2011
    Eastern Cape SA
    Country Flag:
    Pics as requested.

Argos 1.jpg IMG_6202.JPG IMG_6201.JPG

4. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You do have a missing rod - it goes in that center hole. This bim bam is set up to strike one note on the 1/2 hour and the dual bim bam strike on the hour from what I can see.

You will notice that one hammer is by itself on a separate strike mechanism and the other two hammers move together. Either the center rod broke or it was removed to make it just a single note bim on the hour strike.

You can get a replacement rod, but finding the right note might be tricky. You need a rod the same diameter as the one in the front in the picture, but you may or may not want the same length. And if that center rod is not tuned just right they do sound rather off to a trained ear.

5. kologha

kologha Registered User

Dec 11, 2011
    Eastern Cape SA
    Country Flag:
    I have just removed the chime block and find that there is a screw in the centre hole, which someone has had a go at with a pair of vise-grips! So my question is answered, it left the factory with three chime rods. Now how do I get the screw out seeing as how vise-grips were unable to remove it. It also has been drilled with a 3mm drill into the back of the screw but obviously they could not drill the chime rod out as the broken stub is still there.

IMG_6204.JPG

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use an impact wrench with screw driver attachment. Timesavers has two 3 rod units for about $15.00. I would go that route.

THTanner likes this.
  7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Usually you can knock out what's left of the old rod with a 3/32 punch. This will give you a nice concentric pilot hole. Then drill using a bit that won't quite take out any part of the old threads. Fileing off what's left of the old buggered up slotted end will make drilling easier. This will leave a thin shell that usually can be picked out, or screwed out with screwdriver with sharply ground edges at the sides.

Note, easyouts don't work to well in this situation, but if you have a set, by all means Willie X

8. kologha

kologha Registered User

Dec 11, 2011
    Eastern Cape SA
    Country Flag:
    I have never had any joy with 'easy outs'. Will try a screwdriver bit in a pair of visegrips and use a small hammer to tap away while putting torque on the visegrips, what is known in SA as 'making a plan'! I have loosened many fasteners with this method. Failing that I will try your method Willie. What about using a piece of 3mm diameter piano wire (hardened & tempered steel wire) as a replacement chime rod?

9. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It may help to heat it up first.

10. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Urgos copper rods are typically 2.4 MM or 2.8 MM diameter. If you can furnish the captive brass threads and source suitable tempered wire, you could try making new rods from scratch.

11. kologha

kologha Registered User

Dec 11, 2011
    Eastern Cape SA
    Country Flag:
    I've got 2.5mm tempered wire and should not have a problem making a new end to hold it in place in the chime block so then all I will need to do is tune it! Sounds so simple but I'll give it a bash and see how I go. I have been away today so have not had a chance to to do anything about removing the old stub.

12. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you have an iPhone you might want to get the free AP Tuner Lite - it will tell you what your current rods are tuned at - and let you precisely tune the new rod to match whatever note you want it to be. Even if your current rods are sharp or flat from the true note - this AP will let you tune the new rod accordingly to match

13. kologha

kologha Registered User

Dec 11, 2011
    Eastern Cape SA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks but I don't have an iPhone and my PC works with Linux Mint (Da Tuner works on Windows & Mac PC's).

14. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    might any of these work - I loaded one to Linux Ubuntu and it seems okay -

Instrument Tuners [Linux-Sound]

15. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    A KORG CA-40 doesn't cost much and will tune just about anything. If you buy any type electronic tuner, make sure it has a 'sliding scale' feature. Clock chime rods are rarely tuned to a true scale. The sliding scale will allow you to acomodate any tuning that is slightly, or greatly, off from a standard tone.

A cheap and easy way out is to buy a set of Westminster pre-tuned rods of approximately the right length. Use the 1st, 3rd, and 4th rods. The first being the highest pitch first note and the 3rd and 4th together (chord) being the second. If you like the sound, your done.

Note, I like the two second notes to be identical. This sort of reinforces the second note and makes it louder. This is easy to do by simply cutting the 4th (longest) rod off until the tone matches the 3rd rod. Cut it longer than the 3rd rod and slowly file or grind (don't cut) it shorter. The warbling discord will slowly decrease in frequency and go away when the tones are identical. Some leave a tad of the warbling (discordance), this can make for a pleasing sound, like the sound of most big bells.
    Good luck, Willie X

16. kologha

kologha Registered User

Dec 11, 2011
    Eastern Cape SA
    Country Flag:
    I have successfully removed the broken stub by knocking it out with a 2mm dia length of tempered wire. I then attacked the screwed in brass nipple with a hammer and screwdriver applying torque to the screwdriver while tapping it with a small hammer. As I suspected it came loose quite easily. The chime rod is 3mm in diameter and the chime block has a tapered M6x1 thread. When I screwed a standard M6 bolt into the hole it tightened up perfectly in the tapered thread so I can make a new nipple to suit whatever size chime rod I eventually make. I would love to just buy a factory made replacement chime block but it isn't so easy when one lives in SA, not to mention that it would be rather expensive! At the moment I am experimenting with various wires to see if I can produce anything with a usable sound.

THTanner likes this.
  17. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    An interesting experiment as you work for the note and tone you want is to try different hardening and tempering temperatures. The tempering is best done with a kiln, but a good oven that can get to about 600 F on the clean cycle can also be considered.

18. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Drill rod stock would probably make a good sound. You may, or may not, be able to see that the rod/s always have a severely necked down area starting at the face of the attachment slug outward for about 5/8". This taper is made on a lathe, or with a file on older clocks.

I understand your reasons for not ordering the part/s but surely you can look around and find some scrap clocks nearby. Use a magnet to see if your old rods are brass plated steel or beryllium copper.

Willie X

19. kologha

kologha Registered User

Dec 11, 2011
    Eastern Cape SA
    Country Flag:
    No scrap clocks around here!!!! Everyone wants their old clocks repaired, you wouldn't believe what has been handed to me with a request to fix because it's some heirloom and has been promised to a son/daughter/grandson etc. Originally my idea was to get old clocks that no one wanted and fix them up for myself! Ha, Ha Ha!!! Now I just buy the odd (cheap) clock off the local auction when I find a cheap one!!!. Not often that I manage to find a cheap one, everyone thinks that a wind up clock is an antique and in SA ANTIQUE = VALUABLE! Even so I am starting to run out of space.

THTanner likes this.
  20. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    If you keep looking, I'm sure you will eventially run across a large store of scrap clocks, or scrap clock parts. Usually this happens a day or two after you spend a lot of time making up something from scratch. :) Willie X

21. kologha

kologha Registered User

Dec 11, 2011
    Eastern Cape SA
    Country Flag:
  22. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Are they screw in rods:???::???:??
    I need the same
    Lloyd

23. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Hey Willie,
    your scientific approach to tuning rods appeals to me. I have searched for the KORG CA-40, but have found instead the KORG CA-50. Would that be an updated CA-40 and would it work to check the notes on my clock rods?

24. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    According to this line in the first post:
    I assume so. Not all are though.