Urgos 9 chime questions

Nickey

Jun 14, 2021
Country
I've inherited a somewhat ridiculous howard miller clock with what appears to be an Urgos 9 chime movement, but I can't find any information on operating/maintaining the movement. Is there somewhere I can download a manual, or is there a book I can buy? I am mechanically inclined but unfamiliar with mechanical clocks. Also, does anyone know if this movement silences itself at night, and at what times?

PXL_20210607_210809722.jpg

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
I don't think there is a book/manual specific to the Urgos 9 tube movement.
You may find bits and pieces on the clock repair section of this MB.
Use Google to search.
There is not much maintenance that needs to be done on that era movement.
When it fails, likely it will be due to low power due friction due to wear from normal operation.
If it ain't broke...........
That era and make of movement has a life span of about 20-25 years and those have some inherent problems.
The escape wheels sometimes will wear to the point that the verge will randomly skip over teeth, making the hands move fast.
It is normally a large undertaking to learn clock repair, especially if a person has only one clock.
If there is something wrong with the movement, it might be best to take it to a clock repair professional.
Best of luck with your clock
Dick

Nickey

Jun 14, 2021
Country
Thanks Dick.

It's disappointing to hear these movements only last 20-25 years since I believe this one is now approximately 35 years old! Now I see the forum threads with mention of soft metal/plating issues.

I'm not sure if the clock works correctly. The original owner hadn't been running it the last couple of years before he passed. He said there was a problem with the clock, but he had dementia and it's likely he simply forgot how to operate it.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Sorry to hear your disappointment.
That movement is likely an UM03083 or UM03108 depending on the pendulum length.
That clock was, at one time, a very expensive and top of the line clock.
Nine new tubes today will cost near $1200-$1800 US.
A new movement will cost approximately $1650.00 US before freight.
Best regards,
Dick

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
This one is known as the Focal Point. While I usually avoid modern clocks I will admit this is one of the more unusual
takes on a modern wall clock. The chimes did not auto silence at night on the older Urgos movements.
Basically a wall-hanging grandfather clock movement with glass dial to see the movement in action.
Westminster/Whittington/St. Michael chimes on tubular bells.
Watching the movement makes for good entertainment.
There was also a grandfather version with chime rods called the Coastal Point.

Still being made with a Kieninger or Hermle movement.
You will have to seek out a replacement Urgos movement when your clock eventually wears out as
the winding arbor holes are not arranged the same on the Hermle/Kieninger movements.

Nickey

Jun 14, 2021
Country
Thanks guys. I was aware of the model name and high cost.

Dick, yes, you're right, the movement is UW03038B.

And thanks Chimeclockfan, I wasn't sure if the chimes automatically silenced or not. I also googled the coastal point and all I can say is it's really not something I would want in my house! I do like the focal point but it is a bit gaudy in my opinion and way too big for my house. I'm mostly keeping it for nostalgic reasons.

I'm welding up a mounting bracket that can span two studs and once I get it mounted I'll see if it runs properly. If not I will see if I can find someone to look at it here in the bay area. If the movement is shot it will hang on the wall unused until I can afford the $1000+ for a replacement movement.

It would be nice to have a movement that automatically silences 10pm to 7am, looks like the replacement Urgos movements don't do that.

Nickey

Jun 14, 2021
Country
Ok, I made my mounting plate, got the clock on the wall and it wouldn't run. The arbors for the clock and the strike were wound tight. While I was looking inside the movement I accidentally touched the fan governor and it started spinning. The chime train advanced a bit, then the escape wheel started moving, and now the clock seems to work fine. It was stuck at 25 after, which is when the chimes go into warning? I'm hoping the previous owner did something to cause this and it's not something that happens periodically on it's own. Or it just jammed when I moved it.

My best guess for the age of the clock is approximately 1981. The winding arbors have been rebushed, and have since acquired some wear. I don't see any other pivots with obvious wear. Fingers crossed, thanks everyone for the advice.

PXL_20210620_025636919.jpg PXL_20210619_034539866.jpg PXL_20210617_205715684.jpg PXL_20210616_024451148.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pamula
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller