Urgos 32

ticktock

Aug 24, 2004
Country
Working on an Urgos 32 and upon disassembly I noticed the escape wheel is one of those automatic beat wheels. Can this be changed to another escape wheel so I can set the beat? I have had too many problems with the present type of escape wheel. They will run fine for a week or two then suddenly stop.

tick

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Tick, replacing that movement will save you a lot of headaches. I don't know of any escapewheel replacements for this.

The Tick Doc

Dec 30, 2007
South east USA
Country
Region
Hay ther tick, your ew is worn out and you need a new one, you can get a replacement wheel on a new arber from Black forest Emports for about $35.00,, it should work quite well for many years,, The problem you are having is verry common for the Urgos clocks,, it is so common that I have stocked up on the new parts because they are getting scarse,, good luck,, let us know how it turns out.

dutch

Jan 6, 2003
Oxnard,CA
Country
Region
I have "fixed" a couple of these by bushing the escape wheel pivots and the pallets arbor. Even if they look to be within tolerance they worked after bushing. I don't doubt that replacing the wheel would be better.

The Tick Doc

Dec 30, 2007
South east USA
Country
Region
Hay Tick, on that clock your working on ,does have a very short swing of the pend bob and gaining 15 to 20 minets a day with out any adjustment left?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Before replacing the EW, check the pallet assembly. If the clutch is real loose, that's causing the problem. You can tighten it a tad with a staking set if needed.

ticktock

Aug 24, 2004
Country
The movement does need to be overhauled. On the strike train alone I find 3 pivot holes need to be replaced just on the back plate alone. And there are 3 on the time train also on the back plate so it was just not the EW that I was concerned about.
My OP was to change out the EW to non self adjusting beat since I had the movement apart and never did that and wanted to know if anyone has done that.
By the way the movement quit running and it's from 1973 and this is the first overhaul of anykind or work done on it in 25 years so this movement has seen quite a bit.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys,

tick

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The movement does need to be overhauled. On the strike train alone I find 3 pivot holes need to be replaced just on the back plate alone. And there are 3 on the time train also on the back plate so it was just not the EW that I was concerned about.
My OP was to change out the EW to non self adjusting beat since I had the movement apart and never did that and wanted to know if anyone has done that.
By the way the movement quit running and it's from 1973 and this is the first overhaul of anykind or work done on it in 25 years so this movement has seen quite a bit.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys,

tick
I'll wager your running issues have little to do with the EW :) Get the movement cleaned up and rebushed, then lets see where we are.

ticktock

Aug 24, 2004
Country
Getting back to my original post,,,,can I substitute a regular escape wheel instead of the self adjusting beat escape wheel that is inherent in this particular movement:???:

Mark Butterfield what say:???:??

tick

Bernie Weishapl

NAWCC Member
Jan 8, 2009
Goodland, Kansas
Country
Region
Yes you can if you get the same number of teeth and also change the verge. I have did a couple this way taking the escape wheel out of a older UW32 and changing them out. It is either that or contact Mike DeRosier at Empire clock and get a escape wheel from him. You will have to take the old one off and replace it with the new one using the old arbor but it is no big deal. I have worked on a ton of these in 29 yrs and even with bushing haven't found that they will run even a year if that. Oh one more thing you will get more swing out of the regular escape wheel so if it is in a narrow case (small grandmother or granddaughter) the pendulum may slap against the sides. If that is the case I would replace the wheel.

ticktock

Aug 24, 2004
Country
Tick, replacing that movement will save you a lot of headaches. I don't know of any escapewheel replacements for this.
Harold,
I like to rebuild the movements! And I find it more trouble to do the necessary adjustments like raising the movement on the seatbed and other little things to make the hermle replacement movement work for that particular clock cabinet.
Thanks for your reply Harold.

tick

ticktock

Aug 24, 2004
Country
you will get more swing out of the regular escape wheel so if it is in a narrow case (small grandmother or granddaughter) the pendulum may slap against the sides. If that is the case I would replace the wheel.[/quote]

Hmmm, never thought of that! Thank You. You just saved me alot of
frustration.

tick

Bernie Weishapl

NAWCC Member
Jan 8, 2009
Goodland, Kansas
Country
Region
Just a note. I did this in what I guess is called a grandmother clock with a narrow waist. It increased the swing just enough that it would tap both sides of the case. I think you could adjust the depthing but that takes time and has to be right.

MikeFields

Feb 4, 2021
Country
Hi all, I got a grandmother clock case with a UW32/1A in it. Missing suspension spring, leader, and pendulum. I've identified the parts needed but I'm wondering if I should just get a 32319 which is its modern-day replacement. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Facemaster7
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller