• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Urgos 03015B aka UW03124 repair

JimPwy

Jan 13, 2021
Country
Hi All, I am brand new to this site and brand new to working on clocks. My Dad built be me an Emperor Grandfather Clock with an Urgos 03015B (now called UW03124) movement about 43 years ago. It has three weights for the power, hour and chimes. I am now having trouble slowing the clock down. I've lowered the weight to the bottom and still gain about 15 minutes/day. I've adjusted the anchor assembly so that the tic-toc is symmetrical. Looking around, I can see that the bushing on the back plate for the escapement wheel is worn (see attached). It also appears to me that the amplitude of the pendulum has decreased. I live in Wyoming, USA with no one close to work on this. I think I'm fairly handy and can replace the part if I had the proper tools and part. I haven't completely taken the movement apart, but approximating with a micrometer, the bushing OD is 0.1" and the back plate is 0.086". I don't know the arbor size yet. Can anyone confirm my suspicion that this worn bushing would be the root cause of the clock speeding up? and is there a parts diagram that I can get that would show the exact bushing OD, ID and thickness? Finally, where would be the best place to get the part and the correct tools i.e. reaming broach, cutting broach, smoothing broach. I do have a video of the pallet striking the escapement wheel, but I don't know where to save it to to link an URL.
Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Jim escapement wheel bushing.jpg model no.jpg

Last edited:

dad1891

Feb 28, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Country
Jim,

You are correct that the wear on the escape wheel pivot hole could be causing the clock to run fast. The escape wheel will move downward and eventually the verge will start missing a tooth every now and then and the clock starts running fast. Another consideration is that the escape wheel on those clocks was not the best design and would eventually wear out. The telltale symptom of a worn escape wheel is low pendulum amplitude. Replacement escape wheels are available from the major clock parts suppliers.

If the clock has been running for over 40 years, it is due for a complete service. I would suspect that it probably needs more than just one bushing. I can recommend a good guy in Longmont, which is not a long drive if you live in Cheyenne. If distance is a problem, new replacement movements are still available at Butterworth's. 563-263-6759.

Send me a PM if you want more information on the guy in Longmont.

Last edited:

JimPwy

Jan 13, 2021
Country
Dad1891
thought I sent a PM but as I said, I am new to this and may not have done that correctly. Thank you for your quick response. I do get to Longmont on occasion and would appreciate the contact info. Thanks again for your response, suggestions and help.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbiery
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions