Upper Spring adjustment for armature

eemoore

Apr 26, 2008
I am working on a western union self winding clock and have cleaned and it runs great but I cannot get the self winding part to work correctly. I have done all of the adjustments from the repair articles that I have, but the armature will not vibrate correctly to wind the mainspring. I have been trying to adjust the upper spring limit arm as the article suggest, but how is this done? The spring is on a brass base that is screwed to the clock so how is this spring adjusted to just touch the armature. Is there something else am missing. I thought I had it fixed at one point but now it will work for a few seconds and then hangs up. thanks for your help.

eemoore

Apr 26, 2008
Actually i figured this out myself. There are two large screws ,one on the front and one on the back, that control the arbor that the upper spring is screwed onto. Once I figured this out, I was able to adjust the spring and also the motor contacts , and Voila! everything seems to work quite well. I will post a picture of this later so hopefully this might help someone else.

eemoore

Apr 26, 2008
Here is a picture of the two adjusting screws that allow raising or lowering the upper spring. Just loosen the screws to push up or down on the spring bar seen on the arbor between the two screws. The upper spring has to barely touch the armature when it is raised in order for the F movement to run properly. Hope this helps someone. IMG_2745.jpeg

Reactions: Schatznut

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ds23pallas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller