Upjeweled Waltham

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by John Arrowood, Apr 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    #1 John Arrowood, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2020
    Here's one of those Walthams that were upjeweled with a plug inserted, serial number 24383167.
    Grey books says Colonial B, Model 1924. Movement marked Riverside, 5 positions adjusted.
    And the case is marked Star Watch Case Company stainless.
    Back has a 4-24-36 presentation date.
    wal02.JPG wal03.JPG

pmwas, John Cote, PapaLouies and 2 others like this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice John, i like it.

3. PapaLouies

PapaLouies Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Country Flag:
    I think it likely it has a jeweled Main Wheel.
    Regards, PL

4. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You see this a lot on the Colonial B, as well as some other models, when the product line was upgraded by the addition of the jeweled main wheel or additional cap jewels. When the Colonial B first came out they had two grades - Royal with 17 jewels and Riverside with 19 jewels. The 19 jewel Riverside had a jeweled main wheel and was upgraded to 21 jewels with the addition of cap jewels at the escape wheel. I have not seen the 19-jewel Royal but assume that it gained a jeweled main wheel.

Here are 19-jewel and 21-jewel Riversides. Note that they are from the same very large serial number block reserved for this model. I can't explain why the 19-jewel movement was plugged yet still has only 19 jewels (no capped escape wheel).
    ColB_Riverside.jpg

It was around 1928 when Waltham added the two extra jewels to the Royal and Riverside and introduced a new, unnamed, 17 jewel model (gr.1235). By 1932 they were no longer listing the 21-jewel Riverside in this model, instead promoting their thinner Colonial-A for the higher-grade watches.

Strabe likes this.
  5. marking_time

marking_time Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    Attorney
    Lawrence, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Using the stare and compare process on your images, I note that the jewel settings appear to be different. This could be simply from different lighting or angle when these images were made. But the 21J plugged version has a small hole drilled in the escape wheel bridge. What could that have possibly been for? It seems very unlikely, but the plugged 19J Riverside could have started life as a 17J Royal. Or somebody just screwed up and used the 17 jewel marking template instead of the 19J and corrected the error.

PapaLouies likes this.
  6. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That hole in the escape wheel bridge is for the screw (from the underside of the bridge) that holds the escape wheel jewels in place. This would have to been added when upjeweling from a hole jewel to a hole and cap jewel combination.

musicguy and PapaLouies like this.
  7. marking_time

NAWCC Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    Attorney
    Lawrence, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Ed,
    It is always a pleasure to learn something new .

8. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have always liked the curiosity of the jewel setting screw being on the bottom of the cock.

9. marking_time

NAWCC Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    Attorney
    Lawrence, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    1B9794 999B SN and balance.jpg R99 Close up Ruby endstone 01.30.20.jpg
    I remembered that feature on some watches I once owned. It is an interesting look. I don't know whether it would be harder to access for cleaning or repair. The first is a Hamilton 16S, Grade 999B (1B9794 about 1950). The second is also a Hamilton 10S--23RJ--ON10P--A5PI--Grade 923, (R99 =1938) . I haven't seen this bottoms up screw arrangement on anything earlier than the 1938, a first run example. These are both Hamilton's, but I haven't looked for this particular feature. I may have seen it on some Illinois high grade 12-13 size movements: the Illini? Has anybody seen this type of screw arrangement on other watch manufacturers or earlier years. What advantage does it offer?
    Thanks
    Mike

10. marking_time

NAWCC Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    Attorney
    Lawrence, MI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps I'm getting a bit of the subject of this thread.

11. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the "inverted" screws on the balance cap jewels provide a cleaner look, and possibly protect the balance from idiots who would remove screws with slots showing just out of curiosity.

12. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is an example in an 0-size Riverside (it does look nice, doesn't it?) --
    10053963m.jpg

Getting back to the original subject, here is a 14-size Colonial-A Riverside that was also up-jeweled from 19 to 21 jewels. This, too, has the new hole and cap jewel assembly at the escape wheel which is retained with a steel retaining cap underneath, and you can see the screw tip next to the jewel.
    23039362m.JPG

A more puzzling example of a plugged movement is this next one. At least the 19-jewel Riverside in post #4 is correct. This grade 239 really does have 19 jewels, but this was drilled out, plugged and engraved "17".
    25032405m.jpg

viclip likes this.
  13. Kenny S.

Kenny S. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Male
    Machinist
    Not far from South Park CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This 16s Riverside S/N 12511295 I bought from an online auction and didn't even notice it at first. If you zoom in on the 19 plug, you can see the remnants of the corner of where the 7 in the 17 was when they drilled and reamed the hole for the plug. I'm so glad I found this thread because I thought I had the only one or that I had a forgery of some kind. Thanks for your guys' knowledge and insight!

P1010571.JPG

musicguy likes this.
  14. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Strabe,

Welcome to the NAWCC Forum

Rob

Strabe likes this.