Upgraded to a Myford

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
A couple of weeks ago I decided to go to a larger lathe , I know it’s not a horological lathe but plenty of people use a Myford to make horological parts ( W R Smith for one ) , I had the chance to buy a very clean and little used Myford ML10 with lots of accessories, 2 three jaw 100mm chucks, one 4 jaw 100mm chuck all are Pratt Bernard
One 3 jaw even being a grip true £720 new, tailstock die holders , faceplate, angle plate, drill chuck, 2 Baty dti’s 1 Verdict finger dti, plus other stuff.
I have since upgraded the motor to three phase and vdf so now variable speed , I also managed to find an original Myford to ER25 collet chuck ( checked runout at less than 0.0005” ), purchase a set of collets from 1 to 16mm quoting a maximum runout of 0.005mm , I could have looked for original Myford collets but the collets will only take stock for the specific size of collet whereas ER collets have a bit of leeway, swivel vertical slide and vice, fixed and travelling steadies, Multifix Aa tool post and holders, as I make quite a few very small screws I had to make an arbor for a 0.3mm saw , I am in the process of making a spring loaded tap follower , I am very happy with the lathe apart from not at the moment being able to use the graver but I have a tool rest I just need to make something to mount it onto the bed when needed, and unfortunately due to having such a small workshop I had to sell my Pultra but I got good money for it and as the saying goes ( you can make small things on a large lathe but not vice a versa ).
Dell
F666DC48-BA2E-4C3D-AF1C-D85F7C294450.jpeg
9A17DBF4-6209-4521-98BE-C86A41D4B247.jpeg
75694A58-3F15-4852-8678-94D13EA4827E.jpeg
A5AA30CC-B092-489C-BC64-C9014F2C39D2.jpeg
F0485F66-3379-4CB1-A9BB-9392363ADA30.jpeg
6B12AD2B-4E2A-44F1-93FD-F333E32FCED3.jpeg
363E6AEF-CEFD-420E-A964-3D6C8EFF90CB.jpeg

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
I never used a graver on my 102; I am not willing to get that personal with a machine run on big power.

VERY nice find though. You will enjoy it!
I will only be using the graver with the collets and only to turn 10 to 12 BA screws but I will have a go making them with just the lathe , although I am used to making them with the graver.
Dell

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Congratulations. They "still make them like that today," but the cost is too high for most of us.

Found a lightly used Burnerd 3-jaw (50's or 60's) that is so amazingly well made, and not abused, that I will never sell it.

All is good stuff! Now, what will you make with it...

measuretwice

Jul 28, 2019
Toronto
Country
Congratulations. They "still make them like that today," but the cost is too high for most of us.

Its a different (offshore) "they", and "they" may not make them exactly like "that", but yup :)

Congrats on the lathe. I've always like the Myfords, had one for awhile, and found they were made to a very high standard and quite enjoyable to use.

Its not for watchmaking, but it is an excellent size for clock work so I think its no compromise lathe in that genre of horology. Its also a proper screw cutting lathe so is capable of more than the Pultra. You may recall I have a Pultra (as well as larger lathes), fantastic machines, but moving up a bit in size, getting power feed and screw cutting, it is a major shop improvement.

Last edited:

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Heh. Didn't get that straight away, but now (after reading Tony's website on the ML-10 -and you have to admire the way a Brit talks about British-made tools, even when they are critical) I see the Warco is a clone of this so understand what you meant. I was actually comparing this one with "not cloned" machines, by saying the cost is too high. It's a bit OT, but the Warco's (I think, still) come with test certificates as do the Optimums and perhaps a few others. The "copies" or overseen work are expensive, but not like the 100% UK or German made units of a similar size, which are far more. Anyway, to be copied is respect for the original design? :)

Even further OT, I sometimes wonder if the Chinese military stuff is based on high precision and good-quality technology or is the same cheap and corny crap they sell to us?

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
I have been busy making a mounting so I can use the graver on my Myford, still got a couple of handles to make and do something about the horrible screw but I needed to be able to mount the tool rest to be able to make the handles but nearly there now , I will make the handles tomorrow using the graver, I know there's a device to be able to make handles but I haven't got one and anyway I enjoy using the graver.
Dell
ADDFC638-4AF7-496F-BEF1-F652BF3E8732.jpeg
B861A4B9-0627-4018-B605-92D5DEF8CECE.jpeg
88B8B179-1464-498E-BA3F-D0EBB5E6B418.jpeg
783FB4A8-9E09-4EC9-B781-ABA6509A0C93.jpeg

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Looks good. Perhaps it's the photo angle, or your hand gravers will grow in size now that you have a big-boy machine, but it looks as if the vertical shaft on the rest may not be tall enough to get you on center?

Also, the base takes up some space in the center height, but you seem to have plenty of it!

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Looks good. Perhaps it's the photo angle, or your hand gravers will grow in size now that you have a big-boy machine, but it looks as if the vertical shaft on the rest may not be tall enough to get you on center?

Also, the base takes up some space in the center height, but you seem to have plenty of it!
The rest will go only just above centre but it doesn’t need to go to centre because the graver will rest on top so the rest is always going to be below centre, the width of the graver being 1/8” 3mm usually, so the rest never needs to be fully extended.
Dell

measuretwice

Jul 28, 2019
Toronto
Country
Anyway, to be copied is respect for the original design? :)

I wasn't thinking clone, but the actually Myford Company. Myford went out of business in 2011, parts and inventory went in a general liquidation and the intangible assets, brand, drawings, name etc were bought by RDG Tools, a UK tool distributor. The general buzz is that they use the name but started getting them made off shore with the expected drop in quality. Same as happened with Southbend, deliver a lower cost product and surf on the name.

They claim made in England, perhaps the finally assembly is? Looking at the prices of accessories, there is no chance its UK made, e.g. vertical slide for 82 pounds. The location of the original Myford business (Myford Holdings Ltd vs the now Myford Ltd) is housing.

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
There are still plenty of parts and accessories available secondhand and new old stock in uk only go to Myford/RDG if it’s essential.
I have nearly everything I need .
Dell

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Ah. Sad to hear. I did not know Myford had let go, but understand the business decision. Passion does not feed a family. I've never wanted to return anything bought from RDG, as it was okay - enough - to use, and the stuff I've gotten from GG was great, but he's now on the import bandwagon too. So, Bergeon needs no help, but Sherline and Cowells (among others?) are still in it to win, and I think deserve a good look by anyone considering new and portable machinery for smaller work.

Dells, well done! Right and proper...

watchwldr

Apr 4, 2007
A couple of weeks ago I decided to go to a larger lathe , I know it’s not a horological lathe but plenty of people use a Myford to make horological parts ( W R Smith for one ) , I had the chance to buy a very clean and little used Myford ML10 with lots of accessories, 2 three jaw 100mm chucks, one 4 jaw 100mm chuck all are Pratt Bernard
One 3 jaw even being a grip true £720 new, tailstock die holders , faceplate, angle plate, drill chuck, 2 Baty dti’s 1 Verdict finger dti, plus other stuff.
I have since upgraded the motor to three phase and vdf so now variable speed , I also managed to find an original Myford to ER25 collet chuck ( checked runout at less than 0.0005” ), purchase a set of collets from 1 to 16mm quoting a maximum runout of 0.005mm , I could have looked for original Myford collets but the collets will only take stock for the specific size of collet whereas ER collets have a bit of leeway, swivel vertical slide and vice, fixed and travelling steadies, Multifix Aa tool post and holders, as I make quite a few very small screws I had to make an arbor for a 0.3mm saw , I am in the process of making a spring loaded tap follower , I am very happy with the lathe apart from not at the moment being able to use the graver but I have a tool rest I just need to make something to mount it onto the bed when needed, and unfortunately due to having such a small workshop I had to sell my Pultra but I got good money for it and as the saying goes ( you can make small things on a large lathe but not vice a versa ).
Dell
View attachment 753505 View attachment 753506 View attachment 753507 View attachment 753508 View attachment 753509 View attachment 753510 View attachment 753511
Great looking setup
I actually own Bill Smith’s complete setup. I just wish I had half of his ability. It’s a very accurate machine. It seem like he went through the Myford catalog and ordered one of everything they had, except the big milling attachment. He had the smaller setup. I use it mainly for making watch movement rests for working on well, watch movements.

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Great looking setup
I actually own Bill Smith’s complete setup. I just wish I had half of his ability. It’s a very accurate machine. It seem like he went through the Myford catalog and ordered one of everything they had, except the big milling attachment. He had the smaller setup. I use it mainly for making watch movement rests for working on well, watch movements.
I have some of Bills dvd’s he certainly new what he was doing.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

NAWCC Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elenagilbertnr
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent