updated Gould book

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by doug sinclair, May 3, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All,

For at least two years now, I have been watching the Antique Collectors Books website for the long delayed re-issue of the expanded book on Rupert Gould and the marine chronometer. I just checked their website this evening to find that (it appears as though) the book is no longer listed. Does anyone have the "gin" on this? I have sent them an email querying the book, but I thought I'd ask here as well. Answers anyone?

2. hamiltonrrwatch

hamiltonrrwatch Registered User

Jan 7, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doug:

After speaking with the publisher by phone this afternoon, it appears that the release date is yet again delayed. The current release date is scheduled for Spring 2007. Interestingly, Amazon's preorder price is $50.09, a full $30.00 less than Antique Collectors Books website will list it for.

This book, by the way, is being published by the UK arm of Antique Collectors Books. It might help to let these folks know there are a lot of horological people who are interested in this reprint. The Massachusetts office of Antique Collectors Books can be reached at 800-252-5231.

3. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hrrw,

(Pardon the abbreviation.) I heard in a private email that Amazon will have the book as well, so I have reserved a copy there. I am surprised that the impending release of this book was announced so far in advance of it actually becoming available. Anticipation is half the delight!

Thanks for your response. I thought I was the only party interested in this book, for a while.

4. D.H. Grace

D.H. Grace Guest

Doug,

Hopefully this won't just be a re-issue of their last "improved" edition, which introduced more errors than it corrected. The book's a classic, and deserves a better treatment.

With any luck, the Antique Collectors' Club is using the extra time to remove some of their own howlers, as well as Gould's original mistakes.

I must admit, though, that their repeated Tantalus act of taking pre-orders and then failing to publish is getting a bit tiresome.

Regards,

David Grace

5. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    Recent news from London is that this book will be available in a few weeks. However, I've also heard that there is a copy of the original text in a British library which has annotations in Gould's own hand, but that these additions and corrections will not be incorporated into the new volume (at least not as such). Pity.

6. hamiltonrrwatch

Jan 7, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All:

Here's some GOOD news :clap:. According to Amazon's web site;

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/1851493654/ref=s9_asin_image_0/002-0481273-2731231?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I19C6IACJQVL7X&colid=2N4INR4I4UF6G&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=08VYC96D7FM5FXQZ8BJD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=280762101&pf_rd_i=507846

"This revised edition, including the author's later revisions and corrections,"...

This may well be why the book was delayed so many times. One of the biggest criticisms of the new edition was that, initially, it was not going to include Gould's own handwritten revisions.

Let's hope it's not delayed any further.

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone know who the editor was? I would have hoped that Jonathan Betts was involved.

8. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As far as I know the LONG AWAITED reprint by the Collectors Club (whose delay nobody seems to be abel to explain) of Goulds "Marine Chronometer" is simply a reissue of the earlier reprint by the same publisher, which experts tell me, contains more errors than the original issue.

What is really needed -as Tom points out- is a scholary revision by Betts, that incorporates the many many revisions Gould made himself during his lifelime in the form of at least two annotated copies of the original edition.

Contrary to what somebody stated on this thread, these copies are neither in the British Museum library, nor at Greenwich. Their whereabouts are known (but not publically announced). At least one is owned by a private collector. Difficult copyright issues (Who owns the copyright to the unpublished revisions? the estate/decendents of Gould or the 2 current owners of the 2 extant manuscript revisions?) have so far prevented the logical editor of such a venture (Betts) to even start the project.

Fortunat

9. beorn

beorn Registered User

Apr 25, 2008
    At some point, the Antique Collector's Club de-listed
    "The Marine Chronometer", but now it is back, this time
    the listed publication/due date is 01/12 and priced at
    $79.50. For whatever reason, I cannot view the details
    for any books on their website (maybe Silverlight?).

Any rumors to share on this? Is it still just expected to be
    a reprint? I noticed on Amazon that a copy published
    by "Public Domain Reprints" is available for under $14.00
    (though I have strong doubts if it's worth it, based on comments
    here with regard to other cheap reprints). But $14 vs. $80
    ought to be more than just glossy paper and competent
    image reproduction.

There must have been some reason for the delay. Did they
    get their initial price estimate badly wrong and had to withdraw?
    Was there some sort of unfortunate accident?

Of course, 01/12 could just as easily come and go
    (I hope I haven't jinxed it).

- Beorn Johnson

10. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I started this thread 5 years ago! At that time I had waited impatiently for a year or two after the new edition of the book showed up on the Antique Collector's website. Perhaps the publisher is dangling a carrot in front of those of us that are interested as a means of gauging interest before the book is even ready to go to the printer. Aggravating to say the least!

11. Ralph B

Ralph B Registered User

Nov 25, 2006
    Napier, New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    I too have been keeping an eye out for this book.

Since this thread was started quite a few things have happened in the World, (!), but one of the more positive is the opening of the "Book Depository" site in the UK.
    Bearing in mind that postage is included in the price I'll be surprised if you can find better.
    I always check them before buying a recent book. Usually they have it and for about half the local price.

Here's the link for Gould's book.
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Marine-Chronometer-Rupert-Gould/9781851493654

Cheers
    Ralph B.

12. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It should be pointed out that the Book Depository does not have the book. They are accepting pre-orders. I remain skeptical until I hear through the underground that Jonathan and the Antique Book Club have come to some kind of agreement on a new edition of The Marine Chronometer.

13. Ralph B

Ralph B Registered User

Nov 25, 2006
    Napier, New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    Sorry guys for not making that clear.
    Like everyone else they don't yet have the book.

However, if the book ever comes to market check this site first because, as I've said, they seem to always have the best prices.

I should mention that I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer.

Cheers
    Ralph B.

14. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "THE BOOK" is apparently going to be available on January 13, 2013! I have placed my order for one. I started this thread in 2006, finally, after close to 7 years! I hope it is going to be worth the wait, AND the money!

15. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The UK site for ACC lists the book as being available in 03/2013 at £40. However I have previously seen a couple of other horology books on this site I was after that were being re-published and recorded an interest in them, they subsequently disappeared from the site and were never published. I hope this one actually makes it to the printing press.

16. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So do I because mine is paid for!

17. Keith H

Keith H Registered User

May 18, 2004
    Male
    Retired
    Southampton, England
    Country Flag:
    Hi Doug,
    I have just checked on the Book Depository Site ( I have ordered and paid for 2 copies) and see that the publication date has now been pushed back to April 2013.

The saga looks set to run for a while yet.

Keith

18. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Registered User

Sep 1, 2000
    As of 1-23-2013 they are taking reservations for a summer printing. find it on
    www.bookfinder.com

J Smith

19. Ralph B

Ralph B Registered User

Nov 25, 2006
    Napier, New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    This has been going on forever.
    Until someone says, " Mines arrived, it's here!", I'm not parting with any money.....

Cheers
    Ralph.

20. beorn

beorn Registered User

Apr 25, 2008
    Although many have been disappointed by the repeated delays
    to the point of disbelieving it will ever be republished, there are
    some interesting recent signs.

On the ACC site, there is now a new cover image; the description
    starts off:
    "First published in 1923, this long-awaited edition of the definitive
    reference work on the marine chronometer contains additional
    photographs and many of author Rupert Gould's later revisions
    and corrections."

AND: if you read the text on the new cover:
    "With new illustrations and a Forward to this edition by Jonathan Betts"

The (current) publication date is still 5/13, but the recommended
    retail price is now $120.00; I seem to recall it was listed much
    less recently. There is still the comment
    "40% professional non-returnable discount"
    on the description page (though the wording isn't entirely clear
    to me). Hopefully those who ordered at the earlier price will
    be rewarded for their faith. There is no listing on Amazon.com,
    but Amazon.ca and Amazon.co.uk list it at the old price (with
    discount!).

- Beorn Johnson

21. itspcb

itspcb Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Retired
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Delivery now June 2013

peter

22. beorn

beorn Registered User

Apr 25, 2008
    The product page on amazon.com now has an extensive preview (the "LookInside" feature) available; see:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1851493654
    (the Amazon preview provides significantly more preview pages than what is available on the Antique
    Collectors' Club site).

I have already submitted to Amazon a change request regarding the listing of the title, number of pages (496!),
    and adding Betts as author for the Introduction; I also suggested that the edition be identified as the "second", but it is
    unclear if Amazon will accept that. In fact, it's not really clear how this edition should be identified. It is
    a full annotation by Gould of the first edition for the purpose of preparing a second edition. "Annotated edition"
    is not selectable, nor does it seem entirely appropriate; "second edition" seems the closest to the mark, but
    I am unsure; but then, this only affects Amazon's listing. It's almost too bad A.C.C. didn't put it off for another 10
    years and released it as the "100th Anniversary edition" [ smiley emoticon here ].

Anyway, I found preview to be impressive. It seems that it will actually have been work the wait.

23. ocram

ocram Registered User

Oct 17, 2011
    Roma
    I almost can't believe that our wait is coming to an end. I've been informed today that my order is about to be dispatched!
    Cheers,
    // ocram

24. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mine has been paid for, for almost one year! I am at the point now where I will believe it exists when I actually have in my hands!

25. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I received an email from The Book Depository that my long awaited Gould book will be on its way on or about June 16, 2013! As I recall, I started this thread in 2006! At that time i indicated I had been watching for two years for news on the availability of the book, which would have meant 2004! At least nine years! I'll believe it exists when it finally gets here!

26. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just ordered mine form Amazon (and a big thanks guys for keeping me up to date on the long progress of this ) and got an email today that it has been shipped.

27. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The wait is over! I can confirm the book is now real and available...

118.jpg

28. Ralph B

Ralph B Registered User

Nov 25, 2006
    Napier, New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    So what do you think of it David ?
    Not expecting a full review but is it what you were hoping for ?

Ralph.

29. ocram

ocram Registered User

Oct 17, 2011
    Roma
    Book landed on my desk too. It's huge!
    I'm attaching a picture of the back cover for reference.
    // ocram

Attached Files:

30. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was impressed with how they incorporated Gould's margin notes into what is essentially a reprint of the original book. Rather than add to, or correct, the original text, the editors left Gould's margin notes in the margin, making it more than a book on chronometers. The personal notes, hand sketches, and corrections give the book an intimate feel.

I haven't had a chance to read it cover-to-cover but I did take time to glance at every page and feel the book was worth the wait :).

31. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am encouraged! Thanks David, and everyone else who have contributed.

32. Ralph B

Ralph B Registered User

Nov 25, 2006
    Napier, New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    Thanks David, I'd better get mine ordered.

Cheers,
    Ralph.

33. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Success! At long last! Mine arrived in the mail this morning! What a splendid addition to my library, or any library. And as stated, it is a huge book! Approx 8 1/2 x 11", 284 pages. But as mentioned in the publisher's note, "the book follows Gould's erratic pagination". It is actually a 496-page book! And I had almost lost hope. But good things come to he who waits!

34. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now that a few of us have the book ( And it is a model for how to publish a new edition of an old book) I'd like to take issue over a minor point. The new material has section that states that the Hamilton 21 was the last modern chronometer design. I don't know the details of its background but I think the Russian one has at least out lasted the Hamilton, since it is still in production and it may be a later design.

35. ocram

ocram Registered User

Oct 17, 2011
    Roma
    #35 ocram, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    Congratulations! And thank you for opening your thread. For years it has been almost the only source of information and updates about this new amazing edition.
    // ocram
    P.S. Amazon UK is currently ranking The Marine Chronometer 10,000th place or so. It was 60,000th two weeks ago and 20,000th only two days ago!

36. ocram

ocram Registered User

Oct 17, 2011
    Roma
    This is a very good point. Despite USSR have been the 2nd world largest watch manufacturer for a long time, Soviet Union horology is rarely given any credit.
    However, when the First Moscow Watch Factory (later Poljot) started producing the 6MX marine chronometer in 1949, its design was far from being new.
    Actually the 6MX is the old A. Lange & Sohne marine chronometer, with few modifications. In fact, in 1946 URSS "borrowed" all German watchmaking factories, designs and equipment, dismantled them and shipped everything to Moscow, Lange included.
    On the other hand, the Hamilton M21 features several technical and manufacturing innovations. Though loosely based on Ulysse Nardin's design, it was undoubtedly and remarkably an innovative design.
    // ocram

37. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks to a recent Watch and clock bulletin article we have learned that the Hamilton 21 had some production problems with detents which were solved by an outside contractor. This sort of thing always happens when an item goes into volume production. Hamilton had to refine the design as they went so it seems equally likely that the Soviets had to do the same.

What comes off an assembly line may look like the object that is its basis but my experience is is that it differs a lot in many details. Whatever their reputation was for consumer goods Soviet manufacture of items they considered critical was world class.

At any rate, 1949 is later than 1942 so I still think the 6MX, which I agree is a very under rated machine is the last and latest design.

38. hamiltonrrwatch

Jan 7, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very cool David!:cool:

Would you comment on how it was packaged for shipment to the US? It's an expensive book
    and before I pull the trigger, I wondered if they took some care wrapping it up.

39. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mine was very well packed. The corrugated cardboard shipping carton protected the book around the edges very well, where such a heavy book might possibly be damaged by dropping, etc. Mine arrived in perfect condition.

40. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The clipper ship made it safely across the pond and the USPS delivered a well wrapped Royal Mail package from the Mother Country today. Inside was a very impressive copy of the 2013 edition of Gould's book. Well worth the wait.

41. hamiltonrrwatch

Jan 7, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks folks. I ask because the picture Ocram posted of the back looked a bit beat-up to me. Could have been the camera angle but certainly not acceptable for a $100.00+ volume.

42. LaBounty

LaBounty Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Clockmaker
    Mitchell, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mine was packaged like Doug's and the book itself was shrink-wrapped. I didn't have any complaints about the condition but careful examination does show a crinkled corner where the package was roughly handled and probably dropped on an edge. However, as far as books being shipped, this one was well packaged and arrived in great condition.

Regards,

43. hamiltonrrwatch

Jan 7, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Much thanks David. I ordered my copy yesterday and noticed they accept PayPal which made me feel better about purchasing. I don't anticipate problems, but with PayPal you have more options if your purchase arrive damaged, or doesn't :eek: