Up from the ashes

lwalper

Mar 15, 2022
Country
Region
This WAS a nice little clock with a Hermle 351-020 Westminister chime needing service. Service complete, clock ran well, hung it on a post for testing and walked past the thing knocking it off the hook. The case took the lick and the movement didn't appear to be damaged so I managed to put a few scraps together. Yes, the first one is to be ashes. For some reason I didn't feel compelled to put glass in the sides. Discovered the "brass" dial was actually soft brass plated steel when I ran it through the table saw. Carbide stayed sharp, but a few sparks did fly.

broken.jpg cedar01.jpg cedar02.jpg cedar03.jpg cedar04.jpg

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You can "knock your eye out" doin that ...
:oops:
Nice case, Willie X

Last edited:

lwalper

Mar 15, 2022
Country
Region
At least it isn't a valuables antique, and I hope you didn't get hurt.

RC
The movement is from the late 70's and had a damaged crutch and some wear issues when I got it. As I'm watching it now, in it's new case all assembled, there may have been some unnoticed damage to the chime train in the drop—I didn't really look at it that closely. It will only chime for about two days before there's not enough power to chime and requires being fully wound. The time and strike trains seem to be OK and run reliably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dad.watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent