Unusual, Thick Veneered, Reverse Ogee Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Jim DuBois, Sep 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a very strange beast. It has very thick veneer, done on a reverse ogee profile. While it pretends to be a Chauncey Jerome style clock I think that is also very unlikely. The veneer alone is a tour de force, not to exclude the profile of the moldings either. Has anybody seen or have anything similar? Its label is German so is that to be taken as its origin also?

This was posted on Facebook this AM by a lady whom I think to be Australian. I have her approval to use her photos. She wants more information on her clock if we can assist?

Jerome with thick veneer 2.jpg Jerome with thick veneer.jpg Jerome with thick veneer 4.jpg Jerome with thick veneer 3.jpg Jerome with thick veneer 5.jpg Jerome with thick veneer 6.jpg Jerome with thick veneer 7.jpg Jerome with thick veneer 8.jpg Jerome with thick veneer 9.jpg Jerome with thick veneer 10.jpg Jerome with thick veneer 11.jpg Jerome with thick veneer 12.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I think it is German, also from the stringing on the case and the glasses. Saig is a village in Baden-Wuerttemberg (not far from Lenzkirch!) Mr. Sauer would no doubt have been the village clock maker - perhaps he had seen an American ogee clock.

It would be good if we could see the movement.

JTD

Chris Radano likes this.
  3. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I would call it German. As best as I can tell from the pix, E. J. Tyler shows a similar OG, said to be by Junghans, on page 107 of his American Clocks for the Collector. See also Tyler's article in the Feb. 1993 Bulletin, page 14, where an again similar OG is shown and is said to be by the same J. B. Sayer of Saig. Other German-made OG's are shown as well.

https://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1990/articles/1993/282/282_4.pdf

Peter A. Nunes likes this.
  5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I have seen examples of these in the literature including the Bulletin. Alas, given the nature of the Bulletin search engine, I'm stymied in my efforts to find the reference. Maybe someone can.

What I recall is that it is they are the essentially hand made Black Forest version of the ogee hence the German label. Not to be confused with the later versions made by the likes of Junghans that were basically mass produced imitations of the American ones.

Based upon the ones I've seen in the literature, the cases are great using wonderful figured (fruit wood?) veneers high lighted with line inlay. Like Biedermeier furniture. The tablets, as in this one, were quite wonderful and painted on tin. That is also seen on PA clocks.

That's what I can come up with on short notice.

RM

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    PS: hats off to Mr. Thornberry!! He posted one of the articles I had in mind while I was typing that I couldn't find

Thanks!

There's another article that shows a clock similar to the one being discussed with a tin tablet showing a religious scene.

Hope he can find that?

RM

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I only found that Tyler article because I have it downloaded among my files, as, in fact, this one from the October 1970 Bulletin. See particularly pp. 638-39. The article appears to show the same OG , there is included a picture of the movement. The OG is said to have a zinc dial.

https://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1970/articles/1970/148/148_634.pdf

Is the "tin Tablet OG article also by Tyler?

8. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JTD, RM, Steven Thornberry, Chris, et'al. Thanks for the quick feedback and all the information on this clock. The lady who bought it yesterday, $100 AUS, is going to take it in for service and she will take photos of the movement when that happens (we hope). Between the tin tablet, the reverse ogee molding, and the veneer itself, this is certainly unusual and to me a highly desirable piece. And I don't collect other than American stuff? I would have to make an exception on this clock! I would offer her a good profit but shipping might be a bit of an issue? And, no, it is not for sale. Just joking on that point.

PatH likes this.
  9. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    That’s another one. Don’t recall if the other was by Tyler as well.

RM