Seth Thomas Unusual Seth Thomas Type 86 movement

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by kcookapex, Sep 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kcookapex

kcookapex Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all,
    I recently found this Unusual Seth Thomas Type 86 movement and I was wondering if anyone on this board could give me any information on it. It has been suggested to me that it may have been used to run multiple faces. It has a long pendulum in the neighborhood of a 34"-35" working length. I have added 6 photos - I hope they are viewable. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4091 (2).JPG IMG_4092 (2).JPG IMG_4093 (2).JPG IMG_4094 (2).JPG IMG_4095.JPG IMG_4096 (2).JPG

THTanner likes this.
  2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Multiple dials is certainly a good guess. This would be three dials, but a fourth dial could easily be driven by a wheel meshed with the side dial gear on the back of the movement. That would make a fine four dial tower clock

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I assume it's a weight driven movement. The distance between the additional two extensions suggests that it would be too small for a tower clock. I could imagine a kind of grandfather clock, mounted with the back to a wall and having three dials. One in front and one each at the sides.

Uhralt

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't get how hands would be attached? It looks like there were vertical shafts that went through the holes in the brackets above the side wheels and had a horizontal wheel that meshed with these these side wheels. They would mesh like the gears in photo #4, in which the larger gear has the same kind of teeth as the side wheels (chisel-like instead of round pins). That would allow for rotation about the vertical axis, sort of like dancers on a cuckoo platform. But I don't think dancers, more like a master clock maybe? Or calendar function?

So, we have two vertical arbors, one on each side of the clock... With a rotation rate that looks to be about the same as the minute hand (+/-)... Interesting puzzle.

Tom

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pretty sure i can see a main spring. Interesting movement.

6. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    definitely mainsprings... so there would be motion works out to the sides? interesting...

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wasn't sure. I could also be the chainwheel.
    Uhralt

8. kcookapex

NAWCC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It is double spring driven.

9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure what I was seeing.

Uhralt

10. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I meant to post a photo of the movement that I lightened up in Photoshop so I could actually see the springs… But forgot. Sorry!

11. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  12. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah, thanks! Now I can see the coils.

Uhralt

13. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi kcookapex,

I'm going to throw a long shot out there. I think it might be the movement for a TYPE 2 Sidney Advertising Clock. I have never see the movement for one of them but when one sold through R.O. Schmitt many years ago the description of the movement was that it had little nails stuck in gears that drove the two advertising columns. The person who would know is Russ Oschele (sorry if I murdered the spelling). Russ' Webinar presentation (available here on the NAWCC website) on Sidney Clocks is the gold standard on the subject and he has photos of the early and late TYPE 2 clocks (extraordinarily rare). I don't have Russ' email available, but I think he would find this discussion interesting.

Well, it is at least a possibility.

Bob

PatH, kcookapex and Uhralt like this.
  14. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RAK has pinpointed the movement exactly. There were variations in the Sidney movements. A great ID RAK !

Dave T, RAK, PatH and 2 others like this.
  15. kcookapex

NAWCC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for posting this. It was very informative and seeing the exact movement certainly made my day.

16. kcookapex

NAWCC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for your post. I watched the video below. You nailed it!

17. kcookapex

NAWCC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for lightening up the photos Bruce.

18. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    kcookapex,

There was a post about a year ago from a person who found an Early Sidney Type 2 case in a barn. The thread was "Barn Find - Unusual Clock Case". I don't know if your movement is for an early or late case and if there was a difference in the movements or not. If they are a match and if you were looking to sell your movement or if he wanted to sell his case one of you could have a start on putting one of these really rare clocks back together.

Just thinking out loud,

Bob

19. stopped ticking

stopped ticking Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 3, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello All!.....I'm the guy with that Strait Automatic Advertising Clock 2nd patent case. Original patent was the Sidney Advertising Clock with 3 rotating cylinders. Movement was bought on ebay and given to me through the generosity of a good friend. Never thought in my wildest dreams this movement would show up. So now I have a start to put this clock back as a running time piece. So the hunt will be for machining of the gears and the fabrication of the triangle shaped columns to hold the advertising cards. Wouldn't it be great if original advertising cards showed up at one of our local auctions or sales, since I live close to the Weir's printing office. I understand the real value would be original advertising....who knows what might show up?

sidney clock case.jpg

Kevin W. likes this.