Unusual Seth Thomas Alarm

George Pins

NAWCC Member
Jul 17, 2017
I have a perfectly ordinary-looking Seth Thomas "city" series "Dover" eight-day shelf clock, except an examination of the top reveals an on-off lever going into the movement. A label inside the clock (barely readable) says "Winward's Grand Invention Musical Double Alarm Eight Day Clock." The usual strike train has been removed from the movement, replaced by an alarm mechanism with two clappers, which simultaneously ring a coil gong and a bell (very loud) at an hour set by an alarm wheel in the center of the dial. The dial is a conventional ST, with no special graphics. Can anyone elaborate on this clock or direct me to further information? I have a New Haven clock which seems to be the same idea and arrangement, but with the on-off control on the side, with the dial reading "Wood's Patent Alarm." I think ST versions with "Winward's" have been confused with "Wood's" versions. There is some discussion of "Wood's" in the literature, but none I can find about "Winward's."

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Sounds interesting. Can you post a picture of the movement?

Uhralt

George Pins

NAWCC Member
Jul 17, 2017
Sorry, can't technically do that right now, but I've been referred to the August, 1998 Bulletin, pp. 482-485, where an example of my clock movement is illustrated (see figures 4a-c), and the question of whether it is a "Wood's" or something else is posed but not answered. George

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clocks100
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions