Unusual Miniature Skeleton Clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by claussclocks, Oct 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a miniature skeleton clock that a customer got traveling. It is very small and was made by some overseas . My customer gave it to me to look at because it has never kept time. It runs about 20-30 minutes fast and all the adjustment is out. I am considering trying a different suspension spring but does anyone have any suggestions. I have since writing this gotten it to within about 8 minutes a day but without changing the suspension I am not sure where else to go. John Hubby suggested I post it here for others to see and review that may not have encountered it before.

Size.jpg Back.jpg Close up side.jpg Front-1.jpg Front tilt.jpg Pendulum bottom.jpg Pendulum top.jpg Side.jpg

Wayne A likes this.
  2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like someone made a miniature copy of a Becker. Cool!

You should definitely get a thinner spring or thin down the one you have. Either way you'll have to do some trial and error.

Eric

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Adjust the spring by .001" thinner for every 4 minutes needed. But .... you'll need a test Horolovar spring as the basis for calculating, since there's no telling who made the one in there now.
    That sure is a tiny little clock! I like it.

4. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pretty neat!

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Claussclocks, as I mentioned to you separately I know this clock. It is a miniature replica of a Gustav Becker 400-Day skeleton clock that was built by a fellow named Lindsay Bramall of Sydney Australia. It used the movement gears from a midget 400-Day clock movement, with the movement plates being scaled-down nearly exact copies of an actual Gustav Becker 400-Day movement, with pivot spacing designed to fit the train layout of the midget movement. He made virtually everything except the gears and mainspring; the base was turned from a larger piece of green onyx. It is the smallest torsion pendulum skeleton clock in existence to the best of my knowledge. As I recall the clock was made not long after one of our Singapore members exhibited in 2003 at the Ward Francillon Time Symposium in St. Louis, MO, what still is the smallest 400-Day torsion pendulum clock known to exist.

Thanks for posting the photos!

6. Bod

Bod Registered User

Mar 10, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    So this is a unique piece, or is it a small commercial undertaking?

Bod

7. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a unique "one-off" piece. Lindsay has built a substantial number of unusual and unique clocks including weight driven torsion clocks, skeletonized movements, replicas, etc. All of them to the best of my knowledge have been unique pieces.