Unusual Mido chronometer

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Roy Horrorlogic, Nov 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Roy Horrorlogic

Roy Horrorlogic Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I just acquired this interesting watch using an ETA 2790. Unfortunately someone had managed to lose the back plate. My assumption is that I'm more likely to find a Dodo egg than a replacement. As a quick and dirty fix I've fitted a low rise UB crystal with a regular claw. It's very firm as the threads and the underlying gasket hold it pretty securely.
    Of course if someone has a back plate lying around...
    Roy
    PB210330.JPG PB210331.JPG

pmwas and viclip like this.
  2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Have you measured the case back? Is it a screw down or snap on type?

3. Roy Horrorlogic

NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks.
    it's a screw fitting with a gasket underneath. I fitted a 286 UB squeezing a little with a claw. If there was a fair chance of finding a replacement I'd take it out again and re- measure but its a snug fit and the only low rise 286 I have at the moment.
    BTW I was unable to log back into the forums with what was definitely the correct PW. I re-registered the same PW subsequently... odd.
    Roy

4. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    You have fitted a crystal. The meaurements you now need are for the case back. I can assure you that there will be one out there somewhere rhough it may not be branded Mido.

5. Roy Horrorlogic

NAWCC Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    As far as I recall the internal measurement I took with calipers was 286. Hence the 286 UB. I actually have dozens of scrap watches and cases but if I have a back that would fit it would probably be branded Timex... A back that fits would need to be blank or else a Mido. And there's the question of thread pitch too - I doubt that there's a "standard".
    Roy

6. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Which is why measurements and observations are all important.