• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Unusual Gustav Becker Porcelain Clock

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Here is another unusual clock from the same box as the J Sewell-Paris clock was in. This is not remarkable as a clock, however I think I bought it all those years ago because I had not come across a GB clock that had a porcelain case (Royal Bonn, Germany) with ormolu mounts, there may be some out there just never come across any. There are no holes anywhere that something is not fitted into so I don't think it is a marriage. Anyway any comments would be appreciated.
The numbers on both plates and the platform escapement are the same.

. CIMG1044.JPG CIMG1045.JPG CIMG1043.JPG CIMG1052.JPG CIMG1051.JPG

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Thanks for the dates Kurt.
The Royal Bonn stamp was used between 1890 - 1920 so it ties in to somewhere from 1890 to 1894. I thought that it may be later as the number was over 1 million however was puzzled as GB did put 1Mill XXXXXX on those movements.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
As far as I know, GB never put those kind of serial numbers on their movements. Lenzkirch I believe did something like that with the "Mill" or other. GB just started at a low number and went as high as 2500000+ for clocks produced at the Freiburg location, and less than 1000000 from the Braunau facility.

Kurt

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Yip you guys are right, just me and old age... gee I should know this as I have a few Lenzkirch clocks. Anyway just 15 more boxes to go through and see what else shows up, it is like Christmas opening them.
One good thing is with the cross refferance with the Royal Bonn mark it may help date other Becker clocks a bit closer since this clocks number is between 1890-94, pity the movement did not have a factory stamp.