Unusual FW Elliott Chiming Movement

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by randall977, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:12 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. randall977

randall977 Registered User

Jan 10, 2016
    Architect
    Oxfordshire
    Country Flag:
    I spotted this strange looking clock on a well known auction site last week and was intrigued by the movement - Whittington with a Rotherham escapement (they're quite recognisable with their cover), snailed brass backplate, screws to the pillars and pinned collet - all untypical for this type of movement. Also, the winding hole configuration is different from all other FW Elliott movements I've seen - further apart vertically.

View attachment 517332 View attachment 517325

I managed to win it and it arrived on Saturday - I couldn't wait to find out what it was.

I binned the case (definitely not original) and got on with stripping the movement down - it was very dirty.

View attachment 517331 View attachment 517330 View attachment 517329

I deduced after looking in 'The book' that it must be FW Elliott and an Imperial movement made between 1932 - 1945, so most likely 1930's. The Rotherham escape is a real bonus - later Elliott used a French escapement - so this is 100% made in England.

Everything had to be degreased, cleaned etc etc but eventually after several hours I managed to resemble it and today got it to run reliably and chime as it should. I mounted it on a piece of wood for testing and there it is right now happily ticking away.

View attachment 517328 View attachment 517326 View attachment 517327

The face claims Whittington but it doesn't sound like any Whittington I've ever heard - could it be something else? You can hear it here;

2. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hmmm....that is an oddball. this escapement is something I've never seen before. I assume there is a platform type wheel in there. more than 4 notes is really uncommon. this clock seems kind of like what we would refer to as a "sleeper" here in the USA. it is an euphemism that denotes a very unassuming automobile with a very large and powerful engine hidden away under the hood. I intend this in the way that the cabinet seems very unassuming. it isn't until you open the door in the back that you realize there is something there other than a 1.3 liter 4 cylinder engine putting out 63 horsepower.

some of the notes seem a bit.....off. is is possible that a few of the hammers need to be moved away from the rods a bit in order to allow them to resonate better?

3. randall977

Jan 10, 2016
    Architect
    Oxfordshire
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the reply Brain - yes I think you're right - there was something nice under the hood! Sorry about the photos - I exported the thread from the restoration section but the photos only show as titles.

Some of the hammers are not quite right but that's just because of my makeshift stand. I'm on the lookout for a nice Elliott case which needs a motor (last automotive reference I promise) - they are not easy to come by.

When I looked closely at the very dirty chapter ring I noticed that, in tiny writing, that it said: West. - Win. - Whit. - Sil. So it plays Winchester - another nice surprise - a triple chimer!

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I wouldn't have binned the case. It may not have been original, but it fitted quite well and would have been better than nothing while you looked for something else.

Just my thought.

JTD

5. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is interesting as that movement isn't in "The Book" which also doesn't contain a three tune chiming Elliott movement, it says Elliott used Rotherham platforms 1929-48. It does however have a close resemble to the Imperial movement so the authors might be interested in it. The retailer L. Reich & Sons appears to still be trading in Tunbridge Wells. I agree the case it came in is better than nothing, what makes you so sure it isn't original?

6. randall977

Jan 10, 2016
    Architect
    Oxfordshire
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the replies. The case is still around but I don't plan to keep it. It's definitely not original - I think a Smiths case. It's been adapted, the movement does not fit well or securely - it's nowhere near as good as an Elliott case. I took off the corner pieces - they had been added and are actually quite nice quality.

Pages 163 - 165 have the chiming Imperial movement - nothing identical but the same range for sure.

WP_20190212_10_05_48_Pro.jpg WP_20190212_10_05_25_Pro.jpg WP_20190212_10_06_32_Pro.jpg

7. randall977

Jan 10, 2016
    Architect
    Oxfordshire
    Country Flag:
    I've sourced another case which should be more suitable for the movement - hardwood, Deco style - needs work but with the right French Polish finish could look good (photos to follow once I have it).

The chapter ring has proved to be a problem. Imperial were Elliott's budget range (though still much better quality than most other makers movements) and consequently the numbers are painted on. The ring was discoloured with some minor oxidisation so I scanned it and redrew the numbers etc on CAD. I read up on using image transfer paper on here and so am going to try this too. I will post the results once done. I need to retain the ring as it has the tunes stamped onto it - fortunately these were not painted.

Chapter-Ring.jpg Chapter-Ring1.jpg