Unusual Data Time, Inc, digital clock???

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Robert Piker, Oct 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Piker

Robert Piker Registered User

Aug 28, 2015
    Data Time, Inc..a very unusual electric desk clock...I picked this up at a watch/clock show recently in Indiana and have never seen its like. About 6" tall, metal, and I assume it's aluminum, with a very unusual numeral display of moving numbers appearing in different locations to tell the time. On the bottom, it's marked "special" and is number 0817 of what I suspect is an edition of 1000. if anyone can tell me something about this clock i'd love to hear from you. I'm betting it's from the 70's or very early 80's. it's rather like one of those dark crystal led watches from the 70's. Also, the clock model on the bottom appears to be LIBRA.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Robert Piker

Aug 28, 2015
    Here's a photo...

datatime.jpg

3. skruft

skruft Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I have seen just a couple of these but do not know the history. Someone here will!

4. Robert Piker

Aug 28, 2015
    Thanks. I sure hope someone has some info.

5. flynwill

flynwill Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Rolling Hills Estates, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd be interested to see the internals... Is is a mechanical? (clock motor driving rotary switches), or digital electronics?

6. Robert Piker

Aug 28, 2015
    I haven't opened it yet, but was told it has a clock motor even though it shows digital numbers...very interesting if that is the case, but it sure is hard finding anything about it online.

7. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm no help on your clock. But the first clock of that sort I ever saw was the giant clock on 200 John Street in NYC. I must have walked past it for nine months before I even realized it was a clock:

NYC ♥ NYC: Digital Clock On Water Street

8. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It wouldn't surprise me if the clock motor was just turning plastic number wheels in back of the screen. It looks thoroughly like 1973 or so. Let us know what you find.

M Kinsler

9. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did that replace the weird digital clock near the South Street Seaport? 'Twas also on the side of a building, and it might have been that one. I first saw it around 1972.

M Kinsler