Unusual cuckoo clock weights

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Neslarc, Sep 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Neslarc

Neslarc Registered User

Oct 9, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I repaired this cuckoo clock for a friend. There is nothing unusual about the clock but it has what appear to be leather tubes filled with sand for weights. Are these cuckoo clock weights? I can't find anything about this type of weight to disprove that theory. They weigh approximately 420 grams.
    Thanks for looking.

IMG_0358.JPG

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Are you sure they are leather? From your photos they look more like metal covered with something, but maybe it's just the light. I don't think they are original, but if they do the job............

Otherwise get some standard cuckoo weights (pine cones) if you want to replace them.

JTD

3. The Treasured Clock

The Treasured Clock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Male
    Retired
    Franklin, Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What JTD has said. Typically later cuckoo clocks has iron pine cone weights that are usually standard that came with them.

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Nes,
    Weights should never rub each other. Probably someone's improvisation. But, if you like them and they work, what th hey ... Willie X

5. Neslarc

Neslarc Registered User

Oct 9, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #5 Neslarc, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    They work even though they touch. These are old weights and are manufactured, not homemade. Here is a closer view of the bottoms so you can see how they are made. The wire loop at the top was beginning to pull through the old leather so I filled the opening with epoxy. You can squeeze the sides to the extent the sand allows.

I've never seen a cuckoo clock come with weights other than cast iron pine cones. If these weights were "borrowed" from another clock what type of clock could that be?

IMG_0365.JPG

6. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suspect the weights are off a Blackforest wag on the wall movement....

wag on wall.jpg wag on wall 2.jpg

7. Neslarc

Neslarc Registered User

Oct 9, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Thank you for your insight.

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Jim's weights are cast iron and probably weigh much more than 15 ounces.
    Willie X

9. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, those are cast iron and since the 2nd clock is 8 day the weights are a bit over 8 pounds each. My point is these black forest clocks are the only place I have seen leather covered weights and that was only on one clock...ever...since cuckoos come from the same part of the world it made some sense to me to suggest they could be original to the clock...but on a sample size of one I could be quite wrong.

10. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Jim,
    I see. You were thinking about the weights being origanil to the cuckoo. I was thinking transplanted. Maybe a better photo of the cuckoo's case would help.
    Willie X