unusual (?) Chelsea wall clock

Roger Hewat

Nov 5, 2010
IMG_9272.jpg

I usually resist the temptation to purchase Chelsea clocks with balance wheels because I have difficulty repairing them, but I chose to purchase this one because of its larger size and what appears to be an unusual case. The dial is 8" and the case is 14". The back and bezel aren't sealed with any sort of gasket so I don't imagine it was meant for marine use. If anyone has seen similar clocks or knows if it was designed for a particular application I would be grateful for their input. This is my second posting- I'm still trying to figure out how to do this in the prescribed manner. Thanks, Roger IMG_9264.jpg IMG_9270.jpg t IMG_9270.jpg

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Interesting clock, not sure you would call this a platform escapement, but I don't know. Looks more like what you'd find in a pocket watch.

Douglas Romero

NAWCC Member
Nov 3, 2001
New England
Country
What you have is a Chelsea Wardroom clock. They are nice clocks. From the serial number it was likely made around 1912-14. Do you have the case back for this one. Not shown in the photos.

Roger Hewat

Nov 5, 2010
Interesting clock, not sure you would call this a platform escapement, but I don't know. Looks more like what you'd find in a pocket watch.
I believe this is the standard (most common?) Chelsea movement. I'm not a Chelsea collector but I've seen quite a few that appear to be very similar. Now that you mention it, I wonder if it does qualify as a
"platform" escapement.

Roger Hewat

Nov 5, 2010
What you have is a Chelsea Wardroom clock. They are nice clocks. From the serial number it was likely made around 1912-14. Do you have the case back for this one. Not shown in the photos.
Thanks for the info. I admit I initially thought you meant to say "boardroom", but at least I had the good sense to google "wardroom", and consequently learned something interesting about the navy and about my clock.
I do have the case back. Thanks again, Roger

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The third photo on the following web page appears to show a similar clock on the wall (upper left of the picture). The photo is at the bottom of the page; disregard the blueprint.

Wardroom ⋆ Battleship NC

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Here's what I thought was standard escapement, but I don't really know.
Chelsea 1969 737391 balance 1.jpg

fixoclox

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2007
East Rockaway ,NY
fixoclox.net
Country
View attachment 721252

I usually resist the temptation to purchase Chelsea clocks with balance wheels because I have difficulty repairing them, but I chose to purchase this one because of its larger size and what appears to be an unusual case. The dial is 8" and the case is 14". The back and bezel aren't sealed with any sort of gasket so I don't imagine it was meant for marine use. If anyone has seen similar clocks or knows if it was designed for a particular application I would be grateful for their input. This is my second posting- I'm still trying to figure out how to do this in the prescribed manner. Thanks, Roger View attachment 721255
Here's what I thought was standard escapement, but I don't really know.
View attachment 721442
you have an over 100 year Chelsea movement with a single roller. All the hands are wrong for that period it is a marriage but still a Chelsea
View attachment 721253 t View attachment 721254
You have a Chel

Bsohne

Sep 1, 2020
Country
Hi Dave

that is an early Chelsea “marine”movement as you can Id it by round plates and regulator adj at 2 o’clock on dial side …. this example is a “ direct train “ as the balance bridge is actually directly attached to the movement plate as opposed to a “platform” escapement the balance bridge and its components are mounted to a small rectangular plate and that entire unit is then mounted to the movement plate . See below for comparison a platform chelsea escapement.

best regards
Bill
EDCCFCB4-5472-4AA2-A797-63068BD2A2FF.jpeg

Reactions: Dave T

Bsohne

Sep 1, 2020
Country
View attachment 721252

I usually resist the temptation to purchase Chelsea clocks with balance wheels because I have difficulty repairing them, but I chose to purchase this one because of its larger size and what appears to be an unusual case. The dial is 8" and the case is 14". The back and bezel aren't sealed with any sort of gasket so I don't imagine it was meant for marine use. If anyone has seen similar clocks or knows if it was designed for a particular application I would be grateful for their input. This is my second posting- I'm still trying to figure out how to do this in the prescribed manner. Thanks, Roger View attachment 721255 View attachment 721253 t View attachment 721254
Hi Roger

That is a great clock with a big presence ! It one of my favorites from Chelsea. The Wardroom was typically a time only clock and on rare occasion I have seen them with Ship’s Bell movements. They range in sized from 4 1/2 inch dials up to 12 inch examples and they are really huge !
Mine says Hello ! My example is also 8 1/2inch dial but with a pilot House movement ( model f) w rectangular plates vis the marine movement w round plates .

love your clock!
Best
Bill
24F4533E-7564-4A81-849B-4096E457E6E2.jpeg

Roger Hewat

Nov 5, 2010
Thanks for the info. I admit I initially thought you meant to say "boardroom", but at least I had the good sense to google "wardroom", and consequently learned something interesting about the navy and about my clock.
I do have the case back. Thanks again, Roger
The third photo on the following web page appears to show a similar clock on the wall (upper left of the picture). The photo is at the bottom of the page; disregard the blueprint.

Wardroom ⋆ Battleship NC

Wardroom ⋆ Battleship NC
I was so captivated by Lieutenant Tracy Wilder's description of the Wardroom on Battleship North Carolina, I nearly missed the photos of the Chelsea. Thanks, Roger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby2
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-