Unusual 12" wooden dialled English drop dial

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Poorly marketed by Tennants, I got this very cheap I think. It was cheap for a drop dial but an absolute bargain for a wooden dial. I didn't have any pics but the one of the complete clock. Only had a mention in the text to say it was wooden dial. It also showed in the pic it was missing a hand, but that was taped to the pendulum when it arrived.

It is unusual because it is late for a wooden dial, regency style with the brass inlay.

It is also unusual because the side bars sit inside the back box though secured by pegs in the normal way.

It is possible this indicates it is not original, especially as there are unused holes in the sidebars, but they do seem unused and the bars are a snug fit inside the box with no sign of being moved.

2993903-0.jpg

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
H'mm...

The side bars being inside the case with extra holes could be a bit clumsy to line up when inserting the pegs.

Do the dial openings for the hands and winding seem to line up okay?

Are the surround and bezel what you would expect for that period?

RM

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Looking at it I don't think the second set of holes has ever been used.

The side doors are pretty wide, and I think if the bars had been on the outside would have fouled the doors. The bars fit inside the case perfectly, and the top bar to line up on the case works, no sign of them ever moving position.

It's all very odd.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I assume the four tiny holes in the bezel are for an earlier system of glass fixing. The bezel seems to have been gilded. I can't see any trace of a signature

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
That is a clock with a lot of character. The movement has thick plates and the anchor has long arms. The pendulum looks like it's substantial as well. The dial has some serious craqulure. I would try to keep it, maybe darken the numerals with an archival ink pen. That is a nice 200 year old clock, unusual too. I don't think you'll see another one like that any time soon.

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
Hello Nick,
That's a nice one, with some mysteries for you to solve.

First, a question for my own sake. Is the dial flat or convex? I have a movement, false plate, bezel, and convex glass which supposedly came from a dial clock (not a drop dial). The seller said it had a wooden dial that was beyond repair. I plan to one day make a case for it, but I've never seen one in the flesh.

With yours, the side bars have been trimmed top and bottom to fit inside the box and it looks like the trimming was done in situ…there appear to be some saw marks on the back of the dial timber. I doubt that would be original work. Also, has the false plate been reshaped to fit? The bottom is rounded and appears to cut through a countersunk hole on its edge.

Anyway, a great find and if it won't fit over one of your doors I'll be happy to make room for it.

Michael

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Another point of interest. The 1908 penciled date is written in American fashion, The month first followed by the day then year.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Another point of interest. The 1908 penciled date is written in American fashion, The month first followed by the day then year.
I don't think we are so consistent when the month is named rather than numbered, you can see it qually both ways here, though I don't know in 1908. (just google some newspapers from 1908 and they show this too.)

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Hello Nick,
That's a nice one, with some mysteries for you to solve.

First, a question for my own sake. Is the dial flat or convex? I have a movement, false plate, bezel, and convex glass which supposedly came from a dial clock (not a drop dial). The seller said it had a wooden dial that was beyond repair. I plan to one day make a case for it, but I've never seen one in the flesh.

With yours, the side bars have been trimmed top and bottom to fit inside the box and it looks like the trimming was done in situ…there appear to be some saw marks on the back of the dial timber. I doubt that would be original work. Also, has the false plate been reshaped to fit? The bottom is rounded and appears to cut through a countersunk hole on its edge.

Anyway, a great find and if it won't fit over one of your doors I'll be happy to make room for it.

Michael
Yes, I agree about the chopped off side mars. The surround is a perfect match to the shape on the veneer though. Will be going to the cabinet maker, will be interesting to see what he thinks

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Well the clock went to the chap who will do the movement first.

He was intrigued so looked very closely. The side bars have had no other position and he agrees the spare holes have not been used.

He says it all looks fine, but it has questions about why do it that way which will never be answered

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Very pleased to say the cabinet maker says it is all original and he has no problems with it at all. That was a definite bargain then.

Reactions: zedric and PatH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VTC Duane
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner