Unsupported veneer

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by fbicknel, Feb 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fbicknel

fbicknel Registered User

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Cumming, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello all,
    I bought this case off eBay to practice at restoration skills. I am in the process of replacing all the split-and-lost veneer on the case.

I was working on the door, and despite some planing before starting the veneer work, it just wasn't practical to get this one corner flat. I would lose too much material on the rest of the door. See photo where the veneer is just flying out there in space.

Should I:
    • wedge something up in there to support it with a little extra glue to hold it in place (then plane off the edges of the wedge)
    • wet the veneer and try to glue it down as a "curved surface"
    • something else?
    I'm using hide glue, so reworking the area shouldn't be a problem. (Lovely experience once you get the hang of it.)

Looking forward to your suggestions.

20190214_101957.jpg

2. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A wedge will not work very well, nor will stuffing something under the veneer. At a cornor joint the best repair is to remove the veneer fill the defective area with a epoxy filler, I use JB Weld KwikWood, sand it out the top flush and sides then reapply the veneer. I would also recommend when veneering to check the level of the surface to be veneered with a straight edge and fill in any holes or low spots. If you don't level the veneer subsurface the veneer will take the shape of what it is applied to and you can wind up with all kinds of waves and weak spots that will damage easily especially where the hide glue does not adhere properly. I would use the epoxy on a cornor like this to straighten the edges and joint. A cornor takes a lot of wear and are usually the areas that are damaged first.

fbicknel likes this.
  3. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would suggest just filling the area with additional hide glue to fill the gap. You can easily slip more glue under areas like this with an artist's palette knife. If you want a bit more of a filler, a small bit of powdered wood (from a sander) can be mixed into the glue to form more of a thick filler.