• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Unsigned Weight Driven 30 Hour Clock

scott64a

Jul 31, 2013
Harvard, MA
Region
Hmm... the label says, "Pond and Barnes Boston", but it's obviously been slapped over the maker's label. There are no marks on the movement at all. Anyone know what this is?

It has three weights; time, strike and an alarm mechanism. The alarm mechanism is missing the lever what sets it off as the dial turns as far as I can tell.

WD1_zps0a43cfa7.jpg

WD2_zps207f8ba0.jpg

WD3_zpsa808e4ed.jpg

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
According to Snowden Taylor's 1982 movement classification scheme, the movement is a type 1.261 (since revised to 1.271), maker unknown. The original label (under the Pond & Barnes' label) appears to be one printed by Elihu Geer. Chauncey Jerome used Geer labels similar to this one around 1842-1843. Spittler & Bailey give a date of 1847-1852 for Pond & Barnes, but at a different Boston address (71-71 Hanover St.).

Mike

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
Great wood dial ogee, with a very nice over-pasted Pond & Barnes label. The tablet looks to be spectacular and colorful, as many of the tablets on these underappreciated clocks are. Please post good pictures of the front and the back of the tablet, if you are able. The alarm feature is a nice addition.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
There haven't been many mentions of Pond and Barnes in our archives. One was an Ingraham wall clock with Pond and Barnes on the dial, and the other was this one, a Terry and Andrews label under the overpaste:
https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?43969-My-humble-small-collection
Don't make the same mistake this fellow did, removing the label.

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Your weight driven alarm located between the plates appears to be complete, can't tell for sure from the picture, I really like between the plates weight driven alarms, they are a lot scarcer.

scott64a

Jul 31, 2013
Harvard, MA
Region
Hmm I won't be taking any labels off.

As for the tablet, (and I think you mean the glass in front of the bob,) it's an obvious replacement with some spray-painted stenciling around an odd looking bird.

no ideas as to a maker?

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
Hmm I won't be taking any labels off.

As for the tablet, (and I think you mean the glass in front of the bob,) it's an obvious replacement with some spray-painted stenciling around an odd looking bird.

no ideas as to a maker?

The paint does seem to be in excellent condition, but what else makes you think the tablet is a replacment? Pictures will help. It looks like a typical Fenn or Fenn-like tablet, and they often feature funny birds.

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
I'll get more pictures of it up soon. I wasn't aware they stenciled and used gold spraypaint in the 1840s. ;)
Lots of stenciling going on, no spray painting, though it may have that look. Search for "Fenn" here on the m.b. to see many examples of stenciled and painted Fenn tablets. Many are very beautiful with bold colors still fresh after all these years.

scott64a

Jul 31, 2013
Harvard, MA
Region
Here is a shot of the outside and inside of the glass on this door.

I thought it was a replacement, because it looks like it's just stenciled and spray-painted. Is it original? I'm still looking into the Fenn glass.

As for the alarm mechanism, I can see how the backside of the setting wheel contacts anything to let it down an set it ringing. Then again, it's currently apart and being cleaned. Maybe when it's back together I'll get it.

plate1_zps8fcdd6ae.jpg

plate_zps48064124.jpg

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Here is a shot of the outside and inside of the glass on this door.

I thought it was a replacement, because it looks like it's just stenciled and spray-painted. Is it original? I'm still looking into the Fenn glass.

OMG! A wonderful stencilled tablet! With all due respect, I'm a bit taken aback by your initial comments about it. Frankly, I think it's the best feature of the clock.

Based upon the pix, I can't absolutely say if it's original as in always in that door. I see a space between the top of the glass and the cross piece making we wonder about the fit. It may be. But I really do believe it is of the period. Its fantastic.

I also feel that it is by William Fenn.

Chris Bailey published 2 monographes on Fenn in which he reproduced many of Fenn's original stencils which were donated by his daughter who lived well into the 20th Century. It may be in there.

Here's a link to great Bulletin article on the topic:

http://www.nawcc.org/images/stories/1980/articles/1986/240/240_8.pdf

Lots of "odd looking" birds!

Here's a link to a MB thread devoted to Fenn:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?77934-Devoted-to-William-Fenn

There you will find some other nice examples and interesting back ground info about him, too.

RM

PS: I would down load the pix to the MB. They are now on photobucket. These often become unavailable which is a shame.

scott64a

Jul 31, 2013
Harvard, MA
Region
Well, I am also taken aback by my original comments.

I had no idea, but it was indeed fun to learn about this clock so far. I appreciate all of the info provided so far. It's currently apart and being cleaned, so maybe once it gets back together I can determine how to operate the alarm mechanism.

This clock is neat for an Ogee. It has an internal alarm mechanism and a neat tablet.

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
Here is an example of a Fenn tablet, this one in my Silas Hoadley ogee. The second picture has a white paper behind the glass to show the stenciling more clearly.

hoadleybird.jpg hoadleybirdbacked.jpg 259_1.JPG

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Well, I am also taken aback by my original comments.

I had no idea, but it was indeed fun to learn about this clock so far. I appreciate all of the info provided so far. It's currently apart and being cleaned, so maybe once it gets back together I can determine how to operate the alarm mechanism.

This clock is neat for an Ogee. It has an internal alarm mechanism and a neat tablet.
Yes it is!!

RM

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Yes, OG's are often overlooked by collectors as being too common and cheap. But there are many with rare and unusual tablets and labels that are very collectible. And throw in a rare movement, and you really have something.

scott64a

Jul 31, 2013
Harvard, MA
Region
Hmm, I can't see how to set the alarm.

I wind up the weight for it and there seems to be nothing to catch under the setting dial.

Am I missing something?
I wind the weight up and it just goes right back down. Turning the flat alarm dial does nothing. It came this way, so I really don't know what to say about it. There isn't any info that I've found on how to set the alarm.

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
Hmm, I can't see how to set the alarm.

I wind up the weight for it and there seems to be nothing to catch under the setting dial.

Am I missing something?
I wind the weight up and it just goes right back down. Turning the flat alarm dial does nothing. It came this way, so I really don't know what to say about it. There isn't any info that I've found on how to set the alarm.

Typically there will be a bent wire emerging from the movement near the center post, which acts upon the cam on the back of the alarm disk. Said wire should go down through the movement and be stuck into the alarm verge arbor. The alarm verge is restrained by the wire until the wire drops off the alarm disk cam at the appointed time. The wire is more or less the same material as the hammer wires- yours may be missing. They are quite easy to fabricate, though having a picture of the correct set-up would make that easier.

scott64a

Jul 31, 2013
Harvard, MA
Region
Thanks Peter, I see what appears to be a piece of that wire coming off of the top of the verge to the alarm, it comes through the plate and points forward. I won't replace it unless the customer wants it done though. They seemed to really enjoy it without the alarm working at any rate. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-