Unsigned repeater/chronograph

Discussion in 'Complicated Watches' started by Jerry Treiman, Jul 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A friend of mine brought an old family watch to me to look at and tell him what he had. I was able to tell him a few basics, but would like to know more. It is a minute repeater with simple start/stop/flyback chronograph. I have not seen a movement layout like this one before. The only marking that is visible is an outlined cross under the balance wheel with the number "4252" inside. The case bears 18 carat Swiss markings and was assayed at Le Locle, but has no other marks except a 4-digit serial number.

Is the movement distinctive to a particular maker? Am I correct in interpreting the marks around the edge of the dial as counting in 5ths of a second? What would have been the purpose to that?

movement2.jpg 4252.jpg dial.jpg

2. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jerry, your friend's watch likely was made by Meylan Truan et Fils near the end of the 19th Century.

As proof, here is a link to a very similar one, reportedly circa 1892, sold at a Heritage Auction. The Heritage watch isn't signed but Heritage attributed it to Meylan Truan and said that it had the "oval, oak leaves and star trademark Concise Brevitas for Meylan-Truan."

https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/timepieces/pocket-pre-1900-/meylan-truan-fine-gold-minute-repeater-with-chronograph-circa-1892/a/5242-56174.

The Heritage watch also bears the 4252 stamp that your friend's watch bears. That refers to an 1892 repeater/chronograph movement patent issued to Meylan Truan et Fils. See Espacenet - Bibliographic data

3. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Ethan. That was quick. The referenced auction watch is a little higher grade, at least as suggested by additional jeweling, but otherwise appears identical in all essential details.

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a common European usage seen also on English watches that shows the actual beats of the balance. i.e. 5 beats per second.