Mechanical WW Unscrewing a WW Hairspring

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region
This happened while I was blow drying the balance assembly after a dip in One-Dip...it appears as though the top coil has gotten underneath the next one in line. Rather than just screw it up outright, I thought I'd take a break and look for the input of this wizened group. Any help would be appreciated.

Hairspring.JPG

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
It has been a while ago but, don't you just love it when this happens? Can also occur when you demagnetise a balance assembly....or simply drop it!

I use a small thin sheet of plastic which I insert in the hairspring where I know it is good. Then turn the hairspring/plastic outwards until you reach the problem coil. Studdy carefully which way it is stuck and gently untangle it.

If you are lucky it is just the stud that got stuck and no crossed coils!

GeneJockey

NAWCC Member
Mar 2, 2012
San Francisco Peninsula
gjselgins.blogspot.com
Country
Region
Good idea. These WW parts are so small, it's a challenge for sure...they're even blurry when I look at them through my OptiVisor, or is it me?!
Pretty sure the parts aren't actually blurry. ;)

Perhaps you've hit the limit of the utility of the OptiVisor.

Rob P.

Dec 19, 2011
California
Country
Region
And a Zeiss stereo zoom dissecting microscope.
Most definitely second the microscope. You have no idea what you're missing if you don't use one. Or how much unintentional damage you could have avoided had you bought one sooner.

Get one with the deepest working space you can find, screwdrivers aren't short.

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region
Most definitely second the microscope. You have no idea what you're missing if you don't use one. Or how much unintentional damage you could have avoided had you bought one sooner.

Get one with the deepest working space you can find, screwdrivers aren't short.
Where does one obtain such a microscope?

Rob P.

Dec 19, 2011
California
Country
Region
Amscope is one place.

Stereo Microscopes - Stereoscopic Microscopes | AmScope

I have a fixed 30X similar to this one: The biggest difference between mine and this one is that this one comes with different magnification eyepieces while mine only has the 1 eyepiece in 30X.

10X-20X-40X Stereo Microscope

If I were going to buy a scope today I'd be looking at styles with the USB camera. Mostly because fussing with my smartphone through the eyepiece sucks. Not that I take that many pics, but when you need it, you need it.

In my opinion, you don't need more than 30X magnification and zoom is just one more gizmo to play with that doesn't add much to the experience. Look at the "working distance" in the specs and get the biggest depth of field you can afford. Most are around 2 - 2 1/4 inches and it's good enough to look through, but screwdrivers are longer than that. Which means you have to work off to the side slightly and/or tilted if you don't use an optivisor.

Since I got mine, I have yet to mangle another hairspring and checking if the outer coil is in between the regulator pins and what the gap is, is easy. Jewel cap screws are simple too because you can SEE them. Checking cap jewels for pitted or worn surfaces is easy too. And putting that dot of oil on a cap jewel before installing is so fast I can't tell you how different it is over using a visor or other magnification system.

Last edited:

GeneJockey

NAWCC Member
Mar 2, 2012
San Francisco Peninsula
gjselgins.blogspot.com
Country
Region
In my case, by working in BioPharma for 35 years, so I could be in the right place and at the right level to snag one when the company got rid of excess equipment.

Note: this method may not be widely applicable. ;)

fijidad

Feb 28, 2010
Escondido, CA
Country
Region
Amscope is one place.

Stereo Microscopes - Stereoscopic Microscopes | AmScope

I have a fixed 30X similar to this one: The biggest difference between mine and this one is that this one comes with different magnification eyepieces while mine only has the 1 eyepiece in 30X.

10X-20X-40X Stereo Microscope

If I were going to buy a scope today I'd be looking at styles with the USB camera. Mostly because fussing with my smartphone through the eyepiece sucks. Not that I take that many pics, but when you need it, you need it.

In my opinion, you don't need more than 30X magnification and zoom is just one more gizmo to play with that doesn't add much to the experience. Look at the "working distance" in the specs and get the biggest depth of field you can afford. Most are around 2 - 2 1/4 inches and it's good enough to look through, but screwdrivers are longer than that. Which means you have to work off to the side slightly and/or tilted if you don't use an optivisor.

Since I got mine, I have yet to mangle another hairspring and checking if the outer coil is in between the regulator pins and what the gap is, is easy. Jewel cap screws are simple too because you can SEE them. Checking cap jewels for pitted or worn surfaces is easy too. And putting that dot of oil on a cap jewel before installing is so fast I can't tell you how different it is over using a visor or other magnification system.
Thanks Rob...found one on Amazon and ordered it. I'm sure I'll be blown away by what I see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBE43
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-