• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Unmarked Hamiltons

Marty101

NAWCC Member
Oct 28, 2007
Niagara Falls,N.Y.
Country
Friends,I have always had a thing for model 1 Hamilton 992's. But perhaps even more so for the unmarked movements. I came across a bare movement a year or so ago. That seemed odd to me-who would do such a thing? Anyway, I had her cleaned her up over time added dial, hands, and a later Keystone train case.

I'll show off a few pics,but I got to wondering how-many of these were produced? I did a bit of research but failed to get very far. I can't even make a gross estimate, and I'd really like some idea. If any of you experts out there can help-?
Anyway-here she is, #369324:

SAM_1868.JPG SAM_1876.JPG SAM_1884.JPG SAM_1854.JPG

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
But perhaps even more so for the unmarked movements. I came across a bare movement a year or so ago.
Marty maybe I'm tired tonight and just looking at it wrong, but unmarked in what way?
The movement looks like it has all the Hamilton markings.

*******EDIT just saw that it does not say 992.

Thanks
Rob

Last edited:

terry hall

NAWCC Silver Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
typically movements produced before the time service rules required grade marking, movements were not marked for grade.. be it 18s 16s, etc....

even then, some returned movements had grade marking as part of a service, sometimes in a 'different' position than normally see....(got a pic of one of mine 'somewhere'....:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bila

Marty101

NAWCC Member
Oct 28, 2007
Niagara Falls,N.Y.
Country
Terry-that "time service rules" thing could help shave down the number of possible movements that are unmarked,right?
The 992's first year was 1903 I believe...

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
Some of the early 96x Hamiltons are totally unmarked on the movements except for the serial numbers. Some even have unmarked dials.

terry hall

NAWCC Silver Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Some of the early 96x Hamiltons are totally unmarked on the movements except for the serial numbers. Some even have unmarked dials.
True, and most were discontiued before TSR took effect.

Reactions: Bila

Marty101

NAWCC Member
Oct 28, 2007
Niagara Falls,N.Y.
Country
John, the 960 Hami's always catch my eye-and I want to know more in that "unmarked" area also if possible.

I am unsure about the proper use of time service rules to help determine production.
The Hamilton 992 was first seen in 1903. Standards like lever setting and adjustments appeared in the rules around 1905. Can that time period help determine the number of unmarked 992's produced?

I'm afraid to make any assumptions here...I am also sure I have a lot more to wade through that I am ignorant of.

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
John, the 960 Hami's always catch my eye-and I want to know more in that "unmarked" area also if possible.

I am unsure about the proper use of time service rules to help determine production.
The Hamilton 992 was first seen in 1903. Standards like lever setting and adjustments appeared in the rules around 1905. Can that time period help determine the number of unmarked 992's produced?

I'm afraid to make any assumptions here...I am also sure I have a lot more to wade through that I am ignorant of.
Marty,

I have a spreadsheet documenting the characteristics of about 200 Hamilton 16s. About 1/2 are pre 1910. According to my observations, Hamilton did not consistently mark grade on the movt until around 1906 where they get mixed. After 1907 it appears consistent. It appears to depend on finish date, not production date.

Reactions: terry hall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ralphallais
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-