• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Unknown watch mabey swiss

kmaaron1

New User
Dec 10, 2012
My grandfather has a watch collection. I came across a watch with very little info on it. All it says is 24 E.W. on inside first shell then on second outside it says cylinore 8 rubis and on inside second 24 again on the movement it self only an R, A I have know ideas about this pocket watch In the pictures it looks gold but it is really silver in color unknown metal composition.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
It says "Cylindre" which is the French for cylinder which mean it has a cylinder escapement. The watch is very likely to be Swiss. This watch is keyless wind and is quite late to have a cylinder escapement as by the time it was made most higher grade watches had moved on to the superior lever escapement. I'm afraid it was a fairly cheap watch but the movement is in good condition. I suspect the case is silver or a silver alloy. Unless it is hallmarked it is probably not high purity silver. I'm not that good a dating these things but given the keyless wind and the look of the movement I'm going to say it is 1880/1890.

A and R on the regulator of the movement is just Avance/Retard which is the French for Fast/Slow. An English made watch would have F/S.

Squite

Jun 26, 2012
Seattle, WA, USA
Country
Region
The way that cuvette is engraved as well as the style of dial used are both to me indicative of French origin. Of course, the movement could still be either French or Swiss in origin, but I'd expect to see pretty clearly marked hallmarks on the case if it were Swiss made of this period (1880-1910). The French marks are way more inconspicuous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eugenbt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-