Unknown Tower Clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by mgberry, Dec 1, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mgberry

mgberry New Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Country Flag:
    I am trying to figure out who made this tower clock. I have a few pics that I recently took. The clock came from Europe and has no cast markings that I could see. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Attached Files:

2. mgberry

mgberry New Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Here is a close up video of the mechanics.

3. pidragos

pidragos Registered User

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Mechanical Engineer; aviation parts manufacturing
    Sibiu, Romania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    this going train looks very close to an Austrian church clock, around 1879, we have 2 similar in Sibiu county, Romania. see enclosed one example, the pin wheel escapement (usually used in English turret clocks after 1820 ) is very similar, also the metal case. This one has also striking mechanism.
    It is just a supposition that it was built in Wien, Austria. But what you have here is more a "home tower clock" with no striking

P1010293_resize.JPG P1010314_resize.JPG P1010315_resize.JPG P1010316_resize.JPG

4. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Matt, welcome to the message board! Thanks for your posts. :D

5. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Burkhard Rasch, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Matt,Your clock is an european clock, IMHO end 19th or even early 20th cent;my "dating" is an educated guess by the layout of the mvmt.,the use of interchangable bronze bearings and the big factory made hexnuts.As the germans mostly used either Graham's anchor escapement or a pinwheel escapement of the sort that pidagros shows (direct drive to the pendulum),often combined with some sort of constant force equippement ,I´d guess Your clock with the classical pinwheel anchor escapement is of french origin.It's a time only relatively small movement,maybe from a schoolhouse or a cityhall or even a factory to provide exact time for the employees.Verry nice clock,congrats!
    Burkhard

6. Kinpol

Kinpol Registered User

Aug 31, 2010
    art and clocks conservator
    Poland
    Country Flag:
    It is Gugumus or Gugumus- Ungerer Strasbourg tower clock movement.