Unknown Schatz

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bruce Barnes, Jun 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    I wish I had a catalog so I might identify the interesting instrument combination.There is a center rod coming out of the base unit and it might have had a hanger for overhead support.
    It needs some work but fingers crossed ..................
    Anyone with experience with this manufacturer I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.
    Bruce

schatz 2.jpg schatz2.jpg schatz3.jpg schatz 1.jpg schatz4.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually, I don't know. But what is that thumbscrew on the side of the wooden rim for? Does it do anything? Otherwise, the pole could be something like a flag pole?

Uhralt

3. breeze

breeze Registered User

May 2, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 breeze, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Dang, I sure do like that clock. Is the rod through the center threaded? I also am curious about the thumb screw, what does it do? It sure would be interesting to have a look at the movement. Sorry I can't help with ID but it will be fun to learn more about it. Great find!

Breeze

4. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen, when it arrives I will know more about it. It needs some work but what really fascinated me was all of the "auxiliary hardware" and their use.The barometric unit works,clock unknown.
    Bruce

5. breeze

breeze Registered User

May 2, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How about the the thermometer? Guess you wont know until it arrives. I think you are going to have some fun with this one. Please keep us updated.

Breeze

6. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    If you look close the thermometer is registering about 72 and there appears to be no separation,fingers crossed :)

7. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I´m pretty sure to know most of the Schatz cathalogues,don´t recall this arangement.Anyway,a nice and interesting clock.Schatz ships bell clock production started after WWII,first with a 7jewel pin pallet platform,later with an 11jewel swiss lever platform;they went out of buiseness in 1986,so that gives You a time frame.Please show pics of the movement when You have it.Congrats!!
    Burkhard

8. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Burkhard, I thought maybe a little older than that based on the design and all of the tooled ancillary metal work, i.e., the thumb screw, the base and the posts et al. It appears to have been a little more than an average clock, but then maybe not. Not sure if it is ships bell or just ordinary strike
    Bruce

9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would be surprised if it isn't a ships bell strike. As far as I know Schatz clocks in this brass case were all ships bell clocks. But, maybe there were exceptions that I'm not aware of, Let us know what it strikes.
    Uhralt

10. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    spoke with the shipper today and everyone,including the Auction House, are very curious about this lot. The center rod, is threaded on the top and might have had a loop type hanger and the rod is 36" long and goes to the bottom of the base and secures all the various parts.
    The base is in two sections and the are parts are independent except when secured, this should be a lot of fun.
    Bruce

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking at it again I am wondering if this was a time and weather station for the outdoors. Maybe the unit could be rotated and secured with the thumbscrew in a certain compass position. On the top of the pole there might have been something indicating the direction of the wind, a flag or something similar to what you sometimes find on the roofs of farm houses or church steeples (in miniature, of course). Tell us what you think when you can inspect it closely.

Uhralt

12. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    interesting comment, in the photos is does show weathering but I don't think there was a weather vane attached to it or an anemometer as they would serve no purpose indoors.
    In your considered opinion Uhralt would this have been a special order or a limited production model?
    The shipper says it is quite heavy and that the wood may be very dense oak.
    Bruce

13. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You may be right. I googled "Schatz outdoor weather station" and similar. I found the combination of the clock with the barometer and thermometer and humidity indicator but I never found the wooden parts or other mounting parts. Usually clock and weather unit were mounted on a slab of wood to be hung to the wall. I would think this was especially made for a customer who wanted to use it for a special purpose, such as outdoors.

Uhralt

14. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Or maybe put together by the customer himself? I wonder if Schatz made things to special order? I'm not saying they didn't, just curious if anyone knows that the definitely did.

JTD

15. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If so, it was done by a very skilled person. It doesn't have the look of homemade, especially the brass parts (for swiveling?) with the thumb screw.

Uhralt

16. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Maybe designed and made by the customer but lots of metal with specific detailing and machining.............I think you are right in your hypothesis, it may have somewhere outdoors as in the photos there are definite signs of weathering on the wood base and other parts.
    I love mysteries and research !! :))

17. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Me too! It will be interesting to see what you find when you hold it in your hands.

Uhralt

18. breeze

breeze Registered User

May 2, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will you please update us on what you found after you received this clock?

breeze

19. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My guess is that it's a bespoke table lamp.

20. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Now if I could only find the plug and switch so I could turn it on............................

21. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is the center rod hollow? (Is it a pipe?)

22. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    As a lamp, a possibility but I think remote. It is an iron pipe,1/2 inch OD and threaded on the outside and no avenue for wiring as it screws into a bottom base base and no side aperatures.
    Something must have been screwed to the top of the pipe extension with a female receiver.

23. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    A loop for carrying, or hanging, perhaps?

JTD

24. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can say with about 90% certainty that judging by the photos, the wood is mahogany. oak would not hold up very long in any sort of marine environment.

I enlarged your photos the best I could and it appears the wood parts are factory made. I've never seen anything like this either but I think it is awesome. it kind of looks like the clock and barometer rotate on the base? if it were me, I think I would find a very nautical looking small lamp shade and make this into a lamp using old (but refurbished) electrical parts from the 1940's era.

25. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi Brian and thanks for your comments. I am just starting to dig into this clock and and your assumption on the wood is correct,it needs to be cleaned and it has some deep maritime weathering stains but should clean up well.
    I an still perplexed over the steel rod,it is 34 inches tall and I have contemplated it's use from a finial to move it, to a small anemometer to maybe a decorative weather vane.
    It has most assuredly been exposed to the weather but all the brass fittings only have a minimal amount of dirt,corrosion and almost imperceptible pitting.The detailing and workmanship on the brass is excellent these parts I do not think were cast but maybe turned on a lathe,not really sure.
    All three instruments work as they should so there is another plus.
    My Regards,
    Bruce

26. Levi Hutchins

Levi Hutchins Registered User

Oct 21, 2012
    If it was used outdoors, especially at sea, it would need to have been stabilized in some way.

If there is no indication of that having been done from the underside, e.g., bolt holes, it might have been done from above via the rod.