Canadian Unknown Pocket Watch

BKucheran

May 20, 2021
Country
Hello everyone. This is my first time to post anything here (or elsewhere for that matter).

By complete chance I ran into a fellow at a the Vancouver Flea Market today. He held a lovely little pocket watch on a braided leather fob and was asking another gentleman if he knew how mow to ask for it. The other chap didn't know and walked away, so I stepped in and offered $50.00 (that is $C50.00 - so that means about $US20.00 if my eBay purchases are any guideline). In any case the chap agreed and now I am the owner of a wonderful little pocket watch that I know nothing about and the last couple hours on the internet has been of no help. So, as a fairly new member of NAWCC, I thought that I should go to the experts.

So here it is. If anyone can help with this, I would be most grateful:

IMG_3216.jpg

She runs beautifully

IMG_3219.jpg

I think that reads:

Aug. Lud(s)vig
Mümldorf [SUP]A[/SUP]/JNN - or maybe - Mühldorf [SUP]A[/SUP]/JNN

The back:

IMG_3226.jpg

Inside the back:

IMG_3233.jpg

Near the bottom, I think that I can make out,
Galonne

The movement is lovely:

IMG_3222.jpg

But the only mark that I can see is:

IMG_3223.jpg

And . . . there it is. If anyone can offer any insights, I would be most grateful.

Cheers,
Bob IMG_3219.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Mühldorf am Inn is a small town in Bavaria (Germany). August Ludwig was likely a local retailer.

Not much seems to be known about the firm of J. Kratzner in Hanau. As roughbarked says, Galonne indicates the case is silver plate.

Others may know more.

JTD

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi BKucheran,
Galonne indicates the case is silver plate.
This can mean that it's silver plated onto a base metal, or gold plated onto silver, which is obviously more desirable.

Regards,

Graham

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Hi BKucheran,

This can mean that it's silver plated onto a base metal, or gold plated onto silver, which is obviously more desirable.

Regards,

Graham

That's good to know - I didn't realise that.

JTD

John Matthews

NAWCC Member
Sep 22, 2015
France
Country
Region
Galonne" only applies to gold filled silver case
Enrico - I read somewhere that the term galonne referred to the application of a coating of gold and was very much thinner than normal plating/filling, with some using the description a 'gold wash'. I have an example where only the band and bezel are treated, this watch looks similar.

John

BKucheran

May 20, 2021
Country
Much Thanks to all of you - I am much further ahead that I was in the beginning.

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region
A Swiss federal ( 01-01-1893) law provided for the term "Galonné" on silver cases. The Galonné should not have diminished the silver title and had to be applied away from the silver mark in order not to create confusion..

Galonné.jpg

regards enrico

Last edited:

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
The case has Swiss and German Hallmarks for .800 Silver
The Swiss mark, bird, was used from 1882 to 1934
The German Mark , Moon and Crown, was used from 1886 to present

BKucheran

May 20, 2021
Country
Hello again everyone.

Guided by the information you folks have kindly provided I have since been able to put together something of a summary:

Aug. Ludwig
Mühldorf am Inn

IMG_3232.jpg

Mühldorf am Inn, is a town in Bavaria, Germany, and the capital of the district, full name is: 'Mühldorf on the river Inn'. (Thank you JTD)

Mühldorf am Inn.JPG

Regarding J. Kratzner (with thanks to Mikrolisk.)

Picture2.png

J.K..jpg
J.K, in and oval:

J. Kratzner, Taschenuhren; Hanau, Deutchland; um 1889

Although I still do not know a great deal about J. Kratzner, he lived in Hanau, Germany apparently around 1889. One source that I found translates the German term ‘Taschenuhren’ to mean ‘Pocket Watches’, which would stand to reason. I'll add to the thread if I find out more.

Hanau.JPG

As to Aug. Ludwig

The only link with to either Mühldorf am Inn, J. Kratzner or Hanau was reference to Philipp Ludwig II, Count of Hanau-Münzenberg, who (according to Wikipedia) was one of the most notable counts of Hanau of the early modern period. He was born on November 18, 1576, and died: August 9, 1612 - I think that it means nothing to the name on my watch. So maybe JTD is correct, Aug. Ludwig may simply the a merchant or citizen of Mühldorf am Inn

Still, this trip has been quite interesting . . . and the little pocket watch keeps merrily ticking-away.

Cheers all,
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mctylr
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller