• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Unknown Odo Wall Clock

Liem

New User
Nov 30, 2021
Country
I'm a new member
I would like to buy : Wall clock ODO 36-8-8, 2 melodies with everything from original

Anyone can help me or have any suggest the best for me like : price, where can buy or something......

Thanks

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
I suspect this is the type you're talking about:

Places to look: eBay, dedicated clock shops in Vietnam, or French antique stores.
Prices are subjective and ODO clocks are especially desirable in Vietnam which makes their regional prices higher than usual.
You also have to factor in shipping costs, especially if it's being bought from overseas. Not all global vendors speak English!

The ODO 36 wall clocks with just Westminster chime are much easier to find than the dual chime equivalent which also plays Cloches Comtoises. It is just a rearrangement of the Westminster chime.

These clocks do not get a lot of attention on the NAWCC because they were not originally made for the American trade and are completely antithetical to what defines American horology. They are more commonly recognized in France, Germany, Brazil, and Vietnam.
I like these French wall clocks for their nice chimes, ease of maintenance access, and diverse variety in case styles. Others will disagree entirely.

Any ongoing sales transactions must be kept private.

Calvin H. Huynh

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I'm a new member
I would like to buy : Wall clock ODO 36-8-8, 2 melodies with everything from original

Anyone can help me or have any suggest the best for me like : price, where can buy or something......

Thanks
Where are you located? I know some listings here and there for not bad of a price. As Justin said, 2 chime 8 hammer ODO is Cloches Comptois.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Just try to make sure the chime side is in good order. All chime clocks (old and new) are prone to self destruct on the chime side.

These have double clicks on the chime and I recently repaired one that had one click laying in the bottom of the case and the other missing with a destroyed, or badly damaged barrel, second wheel, and third wheel. :(

Willie X

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
There are only a bazillion Odo 36 clock videos on YouTube. Browse around if there's a particular subset you're after.

"An Odo clock??" Robert spluttered beneath his bush.
Yes, Robert. An Odo clock. Odo clocks are very reliable when their chime trains don't explode.
Odo clocks know when to stay on the wall, and don't run into the stationmaster's house for breakfast.

ThomasComestoBreakfast54.png

odo clock.jpg

Reactions: Calvin H. Huynh

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
If you succeed in obtaining an Odo wall clock, be mindful to plant a strong wall anchor so it doesn't actually fall down.
Soft drywall paneling is not good at supporting these or other heavy wall clocks up, requiring one to sit the clock along a shelf or table like a shelf clock. Luckily most Odo clocks have a flat base which makes this easy enough.

In the old days you had stronger cement or stone walls in many households which could support heavier clocks - not so often nowadays.

Don't use a small picture frame nail or hook for hanging. The results will leave you with a splattered mess of clock parts instead of a clock.

Calvin H. Huynh

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Also make sure the rods are good. The earlier broze rods cannot be reproduced. Advise the seller to pack and be careful about the rods.
1638325169489.jpeg

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
From the bazillions of videos, some examples of different Odo clocks. Not my most favorite make and their weak points have already been noted, but their enduring global popularity is more than can be said than for some other clocks out there. As with other middle-range makes of the period, they were 'the peoples' clocks'.

You won't get the same chime sound quality from any Quartz speaker.

If you really prefer a certain sound or subset, keep track of recurring traits such as gong rod configuration, number of hammers, chime melodies played, case shapes. None of these Odo clocks are extremely rare but some models do not appear for sale every day. Their value fluctuates considerately in different markets: they cost more where they're more desirable. Save up plenty of money and 'go for it' when you find a clock you really like.

Good luck with your Odo hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Genda
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller