Unknown Manufacture

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by sapper69k, Aug 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sapper69k

sapper69k Registered User

Aug 24, 2019
    Male
    Retired Soldier
    Puget Sound
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Came to me recently, with an other clock. I find no name or numbers to give a clue to date or manufacture.

I am a rookie at this and have no idea of the variety of "everything" that can exist. So here are some pictures I took as I explored for names numbers proof marks anything that might hint at manufacture time and place (to no avail.

Unknown Clock 007.JPG Unknown Clock 005.JPG Unknown Clock 004.JPG Unknown Clock 001.JPG Unknown Clock 002.JPG Unknown Clock 009.JPG Unknown Clock 008.JPG

A couple of details suggest amateur / hobbyist / apprentice: The hammer spring is not a nicely formed coil spring with a tail, enameling "overspray" on the back of the face. The chipping around the faceplate screws suggest it has been removed many times. There are a couple of wood plates behind the movement as spacers to create the correct relationship between the movement and the face of the clock, that craftmanship is not as nice as the rest of the case. Craftmanship comment also applies to the back of the case. The face is 4 pieces: 2 concentric brass bezels and 2 concentric galvanized / enameled plates

It seems to be a 30 hour movement, and keeps decent time, Strike tone is muted a little dull for my taste, but not unpleasant. I created some shims out of thin aluminum to steady up the minute hand on the shaft, otherwise it is as it came.

Comment, questions, snide remarks?

David

2. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My guess is your 30 hour clock is a Waterbury, for the strike, check that the gong screw is tight, and base firmly attached to the back, and the back attached solid.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I'll take a different tack from Larry and suggest that the clock is German, possibly by Junghans. That wimpy little gong base suggests some I have seen on German clocks. The escape bridge, escape wheel, and verge are very like those on the Junghans clock in this post: Mini Cottage Clocks. It could be an Amerikanerwerk, a German movement modeled on American movements to give the impression that perhaps, yes, perhaps, the clock is American.

4. sapper69k

sapper69k Registered User

Aug 24, 2019
    Male
    Retired Soldier
    Puget Sound
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cottage Clock is a new term to me. I neglected to specify the known dimensions: The case is 17.25" tall and 13' at the base; the body (cottage?) is 9" wide; pendulum is just over 7 " the face is 6" diameter.

I did discover a pencil notation inside the case at the peak,

and observed that the spring on the strike release(?) is wound in amateur fashion as well. The focus on that wasn't as good.

David

Unknown Clock 010.JPG Unknown Clock 011.JPG

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    My guess is German also, just the overall look of the movement and dial.

The pendulum bob is on upside down.
    Sometimes this is done to change the adjusting nut's position, thus avoiding bad threads.

Nice clock, Willie X