Unknown Ingraham!

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by CSmitty, Sep 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CSmitty

CSmitty New Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    My mother just recently told me this clock that I’ve seen sitting around my grandmothers house and now my moms house is an Ingraham. It belonged to my great grandfather. I’ve searched online to find any information on it and have come up empty handed. My mother needs to have it repaired and appraised for insurance purposes..it was recently involved in car wreck. LOL! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Btw. There is an impression or brand on bottom of inside of clock with The E. Ingraham and Company and location.
    F03FB7AD-574D-4C28-BD87-387CACB435F9.jpeg E1BF00CF-234F-406F-A6B2-EA7AE38DE77F.jpeg

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #2 Steven Thornberry, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Your clock is called the Saturn. It is shown in Tran Duy Ly's book on Ingraham clocks from the 1889 catalogue but may well have been offered a few years either side of that year. The "impression" you mention on the inside base shows the company name used between 1880-1884, when the name was changed to The E. Ingraham Co. (no conjunction). So, your clock might have been made in that period, though possibly the base might have been a holdover from that earlier iteration of the company and used after the name change. They wasted nothing that was still usable. A clearer look at the company name on the gong base and the movement might provide further clues to dating.

It is an American (or black) walnut; it came as a one day or 8-day time and strike. Yours is an 8-day. Too bad about the broken door glass, which is to all appearances original; in fact, the same glass is shown in the 1889 catalogue illustration.

3. CSmitty

CSmitty New Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thank you!! The glass isn’t broken. It’s still intact. Sorry for the terrible pic. I’ll definitely get some better pics of the inside as soon as I’m back over at my moms. I’m thrilled to name the name at least:)
    . 2D924937-01D6-49CB-B54B-AB17965DB9B4.jpeg