Gilbert Unknown Gilbert gem

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Hi, I just got this little Gilbert gem for a very good deal.
The case is the first thing that drew me in - it has some beautiful hand painted parquetry on it. The smallness of the case was pretty unique as the clock was made with a lot of meaning. The case also had the perfect amount of flaking/alligatoring which results in “character” (not to the point of falling apart). The case was protected with a coat of Renaissance wax (correct action?) The dial was in near perfect condition for its age (cleaned up with some renaissance and prelim). The clock came with a tiny little key (not pictured) and a tiny pendulum. This Gilbert was constantly ticking even on its back so I knew something that this clock is a strong runner. The movement (as pictured) is unmarked and very compact. The EW is solid, which I have never seen in my clocks. The rack and snail is also very nice. The gong assembly is pretty unique and amazing! As pictured, the gong is fixed on a pedestal connected to a “spiral post”. This setup resulted in a long, resonant sound along with what looks like a bell metal of sorts (kinda like Seth Thomas sentinel). The hammer can get a bit bouncy. There are unknown etchings in various places. I am just very satisfied with the setup with the clock itself. Like I said, a small clock with big purpose. The videos of the striking can be sent if desired. It’s quite nice for a tiny clock. Also like that nice “push-to-release” door knob. Any information on the clock appreciated. Also wondering why there seems to be a pieces of metal plugging the wholes in between the great wheels. Thanks!

16AAEE57-3175-4FD4-AF3A-3D4DEAB658A3.jpeg
F21979FB-FE5A-4C26-A23D-2F25D308173E.jpeg

1FBAA528-D7E6-49F6-8105-7F67A1B41ADE.jpeg CC6A4537-9E36-4335-8008-E860E374C7A9.jpeg 9E952889-AE82-4B5F-AD34-18230F135F4C.jpeg 18187381-7B05-4DBA-96F6-BAEDF0A93F03.jpeg E34C5B16-BC69-4531-AF35-999815C43BEC.jpeg 1ADDE2C1-A3AC-41D7-98C4-43755A3646FA.jpeg A41815B6-8F1E-4690-9663-F250B3F5F87D.jpeg
P.S. This will be my last purchase for a while. After some deep consideration and some advice from others, I have decided to stop purchasing and try to get a whole lot done in the next few months. Most clocks I have purchased are sitting around without purpose. I have turned off my Facebook marketplace and finished the last of my browsing as of tonight. I am not going to inquire for new deals and let others find good deals. Any current deals and watchlists could result in new purchases but I will not try to browse. I will turn off all my “Personal shoppers” to prevent browsing. However, there will be a ongoing deal with a pretty amazing and rare clock that won’t be concluded until the oncoming months. No details will be released until I have the clock. The hint is: “Sonoran Desert”. Focus on what has rather than what it is :). Wish me luck in repairs! Thanks!

Reactions: Isaac

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I understand where you're coming from... I've also got a stack of clocks I've got to work through, and then I have to figure out where to put or hang them, and if that doesn't work out, I have to sell some of them (wot - sell my own children?!) before I can go on another acquisition binge. Good luck, brother!

Reactions: Salsagev

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I understand where you're coming from... I've also got a stack of clocks I've got to work through, and then I have to figure out where to put or hang them, and if that doesn't work out, I have to sell some of them (wot - sell my own children?!) before I can go on another acquisition binge. Good luck, brother!
Thanks!
As a reflection:
I think I have collected/acquired some neat and interesting clocks that I will never discard (meaning sell) but I have also got some absolute junk that I would probably need to toss even if I don’t want to. My ideology is that why should I go looking for something that I’ve owned before? I probably bought all the French wall clocks near me but I don’t want to sell any because they are hard to find. As for repairs, I have just been practicing cleaning and repairing two train clocks and some cheap alarm clocks. A few time only clocks too. I got adjusting the levers down but not the escapement.
My goal for the next months: Learn how to fine tune two and three train movements. Learn to adjust pallets on time only and other clocks. Learn to fine tune hairsprings. Learn how to re bush, polish, and straightening. Sell off ALL my Korean/Asian junk. Sell off some cuckoo clocks. Keeps on going...
just another perspective of my collection: 76E852E6-F93D-4647-8329-776DCF3DE0A1.jpeg F447D25C-5EEC-4511-8D64-B4AD5528E505.jpeg 4148FDBA-F43E-4B51-BF0C-8C232FB2F2A4.jpeg 5F0FDC47-DF95-4A99-9618-C08BF5312DD9.jpeg
Edit: Yikes, the room is a mess
Edit: Here’s my partial list if any interested:
Here goes (enjoy reading!):
Howard Miller 59th anniversary WM chime
Weird Howard Miller bamboo style clock bim bam
Tradition triple chime
Barwick time only
Seth Thomas modern WM chime
Thomas Thompion tri-chime
Hermle tri-chime
Jauch tri-chime (not here)
Tander (Hermle) WM chime
Centurion 35 day
Two Kassel clocks
Weird battery conversion (prob Korean).
Simplex time recorder
Vedette 42 WM chime
Vedette 45? WM chime
Mauthe South American ??
GB two weight
GB three weight
GB WM chime wall clock
Reguladora Ave Maria de Fatima
HAC Ave Maria de Lourdes
ODO Gai/West
ODO WM chime
Seth Thomas no.9 regulator
Seth Thomas lobby clock?
Waterbury Augusta
Junghans duel gong strike
Junghans “Loudspeaker”
Morbier Comptois
Oeil de Bouef (Aiglon?) Swiss?
Syroco (rubble)
Herschede Model 10
Herschede Model 10
Herschede model 20
Herschede electric chime
Revere Cantubury/West chime
Kienzle parlor? Clock
Kienzle wall clock (partially restored condition as bought)
Japanese beehive clock
Japanese “regulator”
Gilbert bim bam
Gilbert bim bam
Gilbert black mantle (parts only)
Gilbert kitchen clock
Ingraham black mantle
Ingraham gingerbread
Ingraham gingerbread
Jerome “OOG” (double door)
New Haven calendar parlor clock
New Haven “tape gong” clock
New Haven practice clock (from RC)
New Haven chime no. 5
Welby Westminster chime
Seth Thomas Adamantine
Seth Thomas Sucille
Plymouth Bim Bam
Plymouth strike
Mauthe strike
Sessions of some sort
Ansonia Belgium
Repro open escape
Japy French statue clock
Vincenti statue clock
Lenzkirch in a Deco case
BD Trin/West gong chime
BD carriage clock
Geo Borg Celebrate
Various alarm and miniature clocks
Many cuckoo clocks
Fontenoy WM chime
Mauthe joker carriage clock
Obis? Carriage clock
Hermle Ships Bell

Maybe missing information but that’s what I thought up now. (Copy and pasted from something else.)

Last edited:

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
Thanks!
As a reflection:
I think I have collected/acquired some neat and interesting clocks that I will never discard (meaning sell) but I have also got some absolute junk that I would probably need to toss even if I don’t want to. My ideology is that why should I go looking for something that I’ve owned before? I probably bought all the French wall clocks near me but I don’t want to sell any because they are hard to find. As for repairs, I have just been practicing cleaning and repairing two train clocks and some cheap alarm clocks. A few time only clocks too. I got adjusting the levers down but not the escapement.
My goal for the next months: Learn how to fine tune two and three train movements. Learn to adjust pallets on time only and other clocks. Learn to fine tune hairsprings. Learn how to re bush, polish, and straightening. Sell off ALL my Korean/Asian junk. Sell off some cuckoo clocks. Keeps on going...
just another perspective of my collection: View attachment 636236 View attachment 636237 View attachment 636238 View attachment 636239
Edit: Yikes, the room is a mess
Edit: Here’s my partial list if any interested:
Here goes (enjoy reading!):
Howard Miller 59th anniversary WM chime
Weird Howard Miller bamboo style clock bim bam
Tradition triple chime
Barwick time only
Seth Thomas modern WM chime
Thomas Thompion tri-chime
Hermle tri-chime
Jauch tri-chime (not here)
Tander (Hermle) WM chime
Centurion 35 day
Two Kassel clocks
Weird battery conversion (prob Korean).
Simplex time recorder
Vedette 42 WM chime
Vedette 45? WM chime
Mauthe South American ??
GB two weight
GB three weight
GB WM chime wall clock
Reguladora Ave Maria de Fatima
HAC Ave Maria de Lourdes
ODO Gai/West
ODO WM chime
Seth Thomas no.9 regulator
Seth Thomas lobby clock?
Waterbury Augusta
Junghans duel gong strike
Junghans “Loudspeaker”
Morbier Comptois
Oeil de Bouef (Aiglon?) Swiss?
Syroco (rubble)
Herschede Model 10
Herschede Model 10
Herschede model 20
Herschede electric chime
Revere Cantubury/West chime
Kienzle parlor? Clock
Kienzle wall clock (partially restored condition as bought)
Japanese beehive clock
Japanese “regulator”
Gilbert bim bam
Gilbert bim bam
Gilbert black mantle (parts only)
Gilbert kitchen clock
Ingraham black mantle
Ingraham gingerbread
Ingraham gingerbread
Jerome “OOG” (double door)
New Haven calendar parlor clock
New Haven “tape gong” clock
New Haven practice clock (from RC)
New Haven chime no. 5
Welby Westminster chime
Seth Thomas Adamantine
Seth Thomas Sucille
Plymouth Bim Bam
Plymouth strike
Mauthe strike
Sessions of some sort
Ansonia Belgium
Repro open escape
Japy French statue clock
Vincenti statue clock
Lenzkirch in a Deco case
BD Trin/West gong chime
BD carriage clock
Geo Borg Celebrate
Various alarm and miniature clocks
Many cuckoo clocks
Fontenoy WM chime
Mauthe joker carriage clock
Obis? Carriage clock
Hermle Ships Bell

Maybe missing information but that’s what I thought up now. (Copy and pasted from something else.)
Hi, I am relieved that someone has more clocks than I do. :) I also have to stop looking at sites if I want to stop buying. It really does seem to be addicting. "So many clocks, so little time" is my motto.
If you have a picture of the Jerome double door double ogee that is easy to find, can you post it? I am wondering if it's like mine.

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
Lol!

Here is my double door OOG. I have not seen another one like ours, I think ours are identical though.
I keep notes on my clocks and here's what I think about this case (not the movement, a marriage).

"This case is probably from 1867-1871, because the printer of the paper label inside the case added his own address on the very bottom of the label, which label was made and glued to the back of the clock when the clock was made. The printers were "Scott & Williams, Steam Printers, 24 Beekman st. N.Y." and they were only the printers for Jerome labels for those dates."

Or, so I thought at the time from reading various online sources. I have also learned they used old labels sometimes, so this is an approximation I guess. What do you think?

IMG_8365.JPG IMG_8366.JPG

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Here is my double door OOG. I have not seen another one like ours, I think ours are identical though.
I keep notes on my clocks and here's what I think about this case (not the movement, a marriage).
Yes, yours is pretty close. What movement is that if it's a marriage? Mine is square with sort of "gothic arch cutouts".
Or, so I thought at the time from reading various online sources. I have also learned they used old labels sometimes, so this is an approximation I guess. What do you think?
I don't know much about it but that it is the time of NH and Jerome transition. I bought it accidentally without any knowledge that ogee clocks are common as dirt. It turned out it was a more rare make. One weight broke loose and crashed down. The case was fine.

I also haven't done anything with the clock but it's on my to-do for this next months. I have seriously need to get the disassembled clocks on my bench assembled.

I like the condition of the case on yours! How did you achieve that?

Salsagev

Donor
Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
If you prefer, we can discuss this clock in the other thread.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
If you prefer, we can discuss this clock in the other thread.
Indeed. This thread seems to have wandered a long way from your Gilbert 'gem', starting with your long list of clocks in your possession.

It can make very confusing reading, especially for researchers in the future, when numbers of posts have nothing to do with the title of the thread.

JTD

T.Cu

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
Country
Region
Ok, yes, that's a good idea, if you can find your other thread you mentioned.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Actually, there is so much "off-topic" here, that I think I will leave it. Perhaps next time, folks should think twice before adding to a thread. It's a lot of work to pull out a nd form a new thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cspeed8
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff