Unknown Free Swinger

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by TheTickTockDoc, Nov 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TheTickTockDoc

TheTickTockDoc Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 9, 2009
    New Port Richey, Florida USA
    Country Flag:
    Hello Friends:

I know that there are always clocks out there that go beyond description. I've run into another one that I purchased just because it is so odd. It is unmarked with an Urgos movement. I can't say that I've seen anything like this before. It's just over 6.5 feet in length. The cabinetry is all solid wood. I'm guessing that it is someone's wood shop project, although it is as well done as in any case shop. A hint may be the side glass that slides down into a frame. A nice feature is the separate sound board on the back for the chimes. Anyway, if you can add anything to this story, I thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Rich

IMG_0889.JPG IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0887.JPG IMG_0888.JPG IMG_0890.JPG

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very odd. I like it! :)

3. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is one just as odd.

DSCF9446.JPG DSCF9447.JPG DSCF9448.JPG DSCF9449.JPG DSCF3540.JPG

4. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The cabinet work is very good and as you say it was probably done as a project. I can see an issue with the case though especially if you have central heating. The side panels are solid timber which in itself is great, however there is a good chance that at some time they will split right above and below the arch where the glass fits. Looking at the photo of the inside you can see that the rail that holds the outside mouldings the screw has no slot to let the wood breath (expand and contract) It should have had two holes drilled horizontally and joined up to let the screw move when the timer moves. Also if the moulding was glued (would be better if no glue) with the likes of PVA the pressure will be transferred to the lower part and could cause it to warp. All this does not happen overnight it may take decades to occur however it most likely will happen.

I am not pointing this out just to knock the clock I think it looks great, however others will read this and it may be helpful to add to their own project.